• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wotavidone
    replied
    Re: Ook Ook

Many variations, indeed.
    Maybe that's what makes it Ook Ook. The local ladies would never serve Ook Ook that was anything other than oil soaked bread topped with slices of tomato with herbs and salt.
    Perhaps that would be a good definition of Ook Ook: focaccia with oil, salt, herbs, and tomato.
    Anyway, it's highly addictive. I aim for the 3mm end of the range when it comes to putting the oil in the tray. A small concession to my gall bladder.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

Looks good Ive had similar and it was delicious
    There are many variations of foccacios in Italy
    Ive never had a bad one
    I used to go to a Pizza place in Melb that made a focaccia which was like 2 very thin pizzas with garlic and cheese in them,it was excellent.
    I imagine it was a Melbournised version of a Genovese focaccia

The Genoves focaccia is like a gozleme the ones I had in Genova had 3 or 4 different cheese in them and it was almost a flakey pastry.

http://bohemianportal.files.wordpres...ccia-bread.jpg

heres a recipe for gozleme too
    Spinach And Feta Gozleme Recipe - Taste.com.au

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    It does look similar to focaccia.
    Yeah, as far as I can tell, the only difference is the amount of olive oil, and the fact that Molfettese can't spell focaccia. (Am I spelling it right myself?)
    It essentially is focaccia soaked in olive oil, I guess. I imagine the reason it tastes so good is because it is really, really, bad for your health.
    That little square pan had about 440g dough in it. I made two of those and a larger pan with double the amount of dough. So I guess the four of us scoffed the equivalent of two supermarket loaves of bread, soaked in salty olive oil. (It all got eaten within an hour of taking the photos - as soon as the kids got home from school and work.)
    This would explain why the missus announced she would not be cooking dinner last night.
    The tomatoes I found in the hen yard. I euthanised the last of my geriatric hens earlier this year and the yard has become overgrown over winter. I discovered a self-seeded tomato plant that is loaded with small but very tasty fruit.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It does look similar to focaccia. Thanks for the recipe and pics.

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Results after 20 mins:

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Some pics:

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

I'm still trying to edit the flaming recipe. Dunno what's going on here. I even managed to post twice.
    The other problem is, once it comes out the oven it's hard to hang onto it long enough to photograph it. Dunno how many times I've set out to make some to take to work and it hasn't even lasted long enough to cool to room temp. (best eaten cold IMO.)
    Last edited by wotavidone; 11-29-2013, 04:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Where are the pictures?

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    started a topic Ook Ook

Ook Ook

The vast majority of my town's sizeable Italian population came from the port city of Molfetta. The Molfettese dialect is different from Italian, and the local Italians say it's rare in Italy these days.
    Many local traditional dishes don't have a real Italian name.

One of these is Ook Ook. Many will think I'm describing focaccia, but this is no focaccia from a trendy caf?.
    As far as I can tell, the difference is that focaccia is baked in a greased pan, many recipes calling for a couple of teaspoons of oil to grease the pan. Ook Ook has so much oil added it is literally fried, and should drip oil when you bite it.

500g flour, 350g warm water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar.
    Make it into a dough.
    Let it double at least.
    (You must all know how to make a nice wet dough by now)
    Shape it into a form that suits your baking tray and let it rise some more.
    Use a thin metal rectangular tray about the size that, if the dough is shaped to fit, it will be a layer about 2.5 cm thick.
    Pour some olive oil into your dish - aim for about 3-6mm oil.
    Yep, 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep - I didn't say this was healthy.
    Put the dough in, let it rise some more.
    Dimple the surface with your finger tips to create little wells to hold even more oil.
    Use a basting brush to paint on more oil that has been infused with garlic.
    Layer thin slices of ripe tomato on top. A little more oil on the tomato. Sprinkle with sea salt and mixed herbs. The little wells should fill with oil.
    Bake in hot oven (about 260 degrees centigrade) until it is golden brown.
    The oil disappears into the cooked Ook Ook. The Ook Ook will be chewy rather than crisp and crusty, with little soft gooey craters under the tomato slices, and dripping with salty, garlicy, herby oil.
    It is rather addictive, and you'll soon pass by that dry baked focaccia stuff.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 11-29-2013, 03:43 AM.
Working...
X