Baguette a la Reinhart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baguette a la Reinhart

Just been doing some experimenting in the electric oven ahead of a bake in the WFO. Managed to find an great baguette baking tray - needed to test that too. Happy with the results.

Peter's recipe:

Recipe: Classic French Bread : NPR
    / Rossco

Re: Baguette a la Reinhart

Great -looking baguettes!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The trick is the overnight fermentation.

Here is another summary of the recipe with some refinements:

How to make a French baguette or baton – easy recipe
      / Rossco

Comment

Excellent baguettes Rossco. Thanks for the 2 links. They are very informative. I've been looking at those baguette pans you have there for a while. Do you put on a backing stone in your oven or just the oven rack?
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hi Dino - nice to hear from you...

The pans were a great find - the holes allow gas to escape and also facilitate browning/cooking underneath the baguette for an even bake.

I bought a new Miele oven a few years ago and it came with a kind of pizza stone which I always leave in the oven when doing my baking - including the baguette. It takes a bit longer to absorb the heat but it is worth it as it provides a good base on which to place the baguette rack. Pic attached for reference (cast iron steamer at bottom).

I have modded the recipe slightly and now work on a 70% hydration using the following mix per 3 baguettes:

Water: 476
          Flour: 680
          Salt: 14
          IDY: 7

Need very little adjustment of the water to get it right. Autolyse 10 mins after rough combining ingredients and another 5 mins rest after a 3 minute beat in KA with dough hook.

After cranking the oven up to its max (280 C) I switch it off, add hot water to the steaming pan and leave for 10 secs. Then, I place the scored baguettes in the oven for 2 mins and after the 2 mins has elapsed, I switch the oven on for 27 mins at 230 C
          / Rossco

Comment

Have done an experiment using the cheapest "Home Brand" flour from Coles supermarket (95c per kg) and got some really good results. Light, crispy and airy. The protein content is about 10% so not too bad. I would recommend trying some of the cheapest brands available to determine the suitability for long-term use.

This is from a bake this morning..
            / Rossco

Comment

Previous bakes...
              / Rossco

Comment

Today's bake - using Superb bakers flour with a high gluten content. It produced a more chewy texture than the general purpose flour, but nonetheless, it was very edible and had good crunch.

I am finding the cheap 95c per kg Coles Supermarket brand hard to beat for the best all round baguette baking...

Note: fresh yeast used.
                Last edited by heliman; 01-13-2014, 05:27 AM.
                / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback. The trick is the overnight fermentation.

Here is another summary of the recipe with some refinements:

How to make a French baguette or baton ? easy recipe
                  Rossco, your post inspired me to take a try at making baguettes. I followed the recipe in the link and let proof overnight in the fridge. My WFO was about 500F this morning when I put the baguettes in the oven. Didn't come out as good looking as yours, but were very tasty with a good texture. Thanks for posting.
                  Link to my build here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
                    Rossco, your post inspired me to take a try at making baguettes. I followed the recipe in the link and let proof overnight in the fridge. My WFO was about 500F this morning when I put the baguettes in the oven. Didn't come out as good looking as yours, but were very tasty with a good texture. Thanks for posting.
                    Your baguettes look really good!
                    / Rossco

Comment

Your baguettes look really good!
                      Just been doing some experimenting in the electric oven ahead of a bake in the WFO. Managed to find an great baguette baking tray - needed to test that too. Happy with the results.
                      Thanks. They were not quite as "crusty" as I suspect they should have been. The crust had a nice chew but did not get crisp. Have you given the baguettes a try in your WFO yet. Bruce
                      Link to my build here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes - i have done a few in the WFO after a pizza bake, with the coals removed.

Results were good but difficult to manage steam. For that I mopped the floor with a very wet mop, put a cast iron pan in to add a small amount of steam and also used a spray bottle.
                        / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                        X