Naan bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naan bread

We are making Indian for a dinner party this weekend and making naan. Any tips?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Naan bread

no tips but here are some variations

try shooting an email to Musa - he has that Tandori and might have some thoughts

quick search came up with possibilities - I like it when they say crank up your oven to its highest setting
    Naan Recipe

this one uses Gas Mark 1
    How To Make Naan Bread

this one has the simplest ingredients
    Naan - Allrecipes

Punjabi style
    Mahanandi » Punjabi Naan

Comment

James,

I've made a fair bit of Naan in my oven. Thing is, when your oven is up to pizza heat, they cook really, really quickly, something like 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them, and when they color and start to blister, pull them out. All the recipes are pretty much the same, very simple and straightforward.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hi Jim,
        I did it, and used a lot of yogurt in the dough, but they seem to not have that stretchy texture I am looking for. I'm wondering if this is like pizza, where there is some real cooking technique and you need an Indian grandmother and a tandoor oven.

I've done these often before, always have the same problem. I even tried using ghee.

There's always more to learn.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Isn't it wierd that Naan recipes often call for both yeast and baking powder? I was brought up to think that yeast breads and quick breads were completely different areas of human activity.

Also, off topic, but how do Indian cooks get the Naan to stick to the side of the tandoor? I would think that as soon as they start to cook they would fall into the fire.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun, James,

Not sure how they keep them on the sides of the oven. Maybe it's mixed wet?

Anyhow, James' problem might stem from European flours, not sure though.

Here's the formula and method I use, and the dough turns out stretchy.

Nann
            (Makes 8, doubles well)

Sponge

6.5 ozs AP flour
            2.25 ozs whole wheat or whole rye flour
            ? tsp instant dry yeast
            6 ozs water

Dough
            9.5 ozs AP flour
            1 ? tsp salt
            ? tsp baking soda
            1 tsp cream of tartar
            6 ozs plain yogurt

Mix up the sponge, cover, set aside at room temp for 4 or up to 16 hours.

Add the sponge and the rest of the ingredients to a bowl. Mix and knead until smooth. It should be soft and tacky, but not sticky.

Divide into 8 balls (around 3 ? ozs each). Rest in the fridge for about an hour.

Stretch each ball into an oval (teardrop if you?re good at it) about ? inch thick. Brush or spray one side with a little oil. Put directly on the hearth, oiled side down. After a minute, oil the other sides and flip them over. They will be puffy at this point. You?ll only need another minute, maybe 2, depending on how hot the floor is. They should be golden and puffy.

I suspect it's the AP flour that adds to the strechiness of the dough.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Other than my mediocre naan, we had a blast. It was a pretty big dinner party and we had a small team of cooks. We made
              Naan
              Papodums
              Chapatis
              Chickpea dahl
              Spicy eggplant
              Lamb rogan josh (made by an Irishman)
              Tandoor chicken (oven roasted)
              Chicken tikka masala
              Shrimp korma
              Raita
              Rice
              The kids made lasi (jogurt and mango drink)
              Rice and coconut milk dessert

We ate too much, stayed up too late, drank too much and had a lot of fun. If you like Indian food, it's a fun dinner party.
              James
              Last edited by james; 04-01-2007, 07:43 AM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
                two-and-a-half years later, that still sounds like one great meal! I LOVE Indian food!!!

Great recipe Jim. I'm printing it out and putting it in my cookbook. Thanks!

GJB
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Have had a lot of success cooking naan in my sandwich press. It's easy and fast, cooking both sides simultaneously.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X