Oh Noooo! My starter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Noooo! My starter.

The unthinkable has happened. After caring for my starter for nearly three years...after baking tons of great sour dough....it's gone. Left it on the kitchen counter in a plastic container and a new cleaning lady "helpfully" ran it through the dishwasher for me. :-(

I'll start a new one this weekend but I'll probably have to by a commercial one since mine won't be working well enough to do breads by Thanksgiving.

Has anyone bought one online?

Bill

Re: Oh Noooo! My starter.

I bought mine from sourdoughs international (sourdo.com) and it's been great. A bit of work to get it going, but it's been good since.

I bet if you ask around you can get a friend to give you some mother starter.

Another tip - take a bit of your starter and freeze it. Then it will be there for you the next time your housekeeper does her thing!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I know...I used to have some frozen and must have thrown it out at some point.

That's interesting about having to get it going.....I assumed a commercially sold starter would be mature. How long did it take you to get rolling?

I know when I started my own it would work ok after three weeks or so....but it started really cranking after a few months.

I don't know anyone local who has a starter going. If anyone has one they want to try to mail I'll be happy to pay shipping...or I'd send UPS for a pick-up and have it delivered to me via second day air or something.

Bill
      Last edited by WJW; 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

It comes as a dried starter, it takes a couple weeks to get going. Lots of feeding and pouring out half, and feeding. You know the drill. Once it gets going, I keep it in the fridge and treat it badly. Hasn't been a problem.

I'd happily mail some, but I am not sure how well it will make the trip. Probably just as easy to order the culture.

But you might just put a post on your facebook account asking (assuming you use same). You never know.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I got my starter from a "San Francisco kit" in 1974 and it's going quite well - although it is not the same as it was 40 years ago. I keep Bill (it is alive and obviously a treasured pet) on the counter except when we leave for more than a week. If you'd like, I'll put a dried starter in a ziplock and mail it to you. If I throw (son of Bill) in the mail tomorrow (Weds-10/29) you should have it no later than Saturday. Email me your mailing address (SableSprings@gmail.com) or pm me here and I'll send it out asap.
          Last edited by SableSprings; 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm approximately 350 mile north of you and have a Ischia sourdough culture I've been growing for the last four months or so. It proofs fairly slowly, makes a very nice dough for neapolitan and is distinctly tangy with longer ferment times. Let me know if you're interested and I'll do a split and feed for you.

-J

Comment

I keep my one in the fridge and try to remember to feed it (fortnightly).
              Ive had it for 2 or 3 years.(maybe more??)
              Its constantly changing,I try and keep it on the dryish side because I dont bake that often.
              Its smelling like pineapple wine at the moment.
              Kicks into action pretty quick but took months to get to a good state.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help guys. Really appreciate it. As soon as I receive the starters I'll take good care and report back on the results.

Bill

Comment

Bill, I've built 2 starters both using pineapple juice, the method was taken from Peter Reinhardt's book artisan breads every day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/di...rex5.html?_r=0

It worked twice for me.

Chris
                  Last edited by SCChris; 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chris.

The way I did mine was to simply put a blueberry in a flour water paste and swirl it around for a bit. Then the usual drill of daily feeding.

Bill

Comment

Your always welcome to a bit of my starter, but I figure that driving downtown LA isn't on your bucket list of things you want to do..

C

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I'm covered. Sevenacre and sablesprings are both mailing me a bit of their starters.

As far as driving to downtown LA....not my favorite but I have to do it with some regularity. Nothing currently scheduled though.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X