My yeast infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My yeast infection

For the fun of it, the thread is hoped to provide a location to post bread photos, WFO or not, sourdough or not..

Chris

PS these are not WFO but are sourdough.
    Last edited by SCChris; 03-03-2015, 11:49 AM.

Re: My yeast infection

Wow, Chris. What a well-handled loaf! Beautiful!

The pics below are all sourdough. The mini-boules are from an Ischia culture, the crumb shots (both from the SD culture you gave me) are from (1) WFO (2) combo-cooker, and the last boule is a hybrid: my batch wasn't big enough to fill the WFO, so I baked them in a combo-cooker for 20min, then finished them in the WFO at 450F.

All of these were baked with the KA AP flour which reportedly is the same protein level (12.7%) as their professionally distributed KA bread flour. It is organic and unbleached and best of all, $21 for a 50lb bag. I was in San Francisco last month and picked up some Central Milling AP flour at Costco to try out.

Happy baking!

John

Comment

Very nice on those! I have been playing with a few new moves while baking using the combo-cooker. I keep the top on for 20-25 minutes and after 10 minutes uncovered I place the loaves on the cooling rack and continue baking. The advantage is that the bottom doesn't burn due to the contact with the more conductive cast iron and I get better air movement, read a better more consistent crust.

The above loaves are Bob's AP and Bob's WW 87/13%
      78% hydration, relative to the flour (66% initially and 12% added later with the salt)
      33% levain relative to the flour
      2% salt, relative to the flour

proofed at 78F for 4 hours and after shaping proofed 24 hours in the fridge.

And a recent brioche bake, sorry about the sideways picture

Chris
      Last edited by SCChris; 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

One of my loaves made in the kitchen oven.

I am using the basic recipe in Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day by Jeff Hortzberg and Zoe Francois.

Always turns out well. Started proving it in a banneton.

David

Comment

David, nice.. I tend toward the darker bake.

Chris

Comment

Bread Pron!

Fun stuff. He'res mine. Sourdough Tartine loaf. Baked in a dutch oven. I think these were a bit underproofed as evidenced by the blowout - but the flavor and crust were terrific.

I can't seem to get the same dark crust in the WFO

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-29 23.27.47 (800x600).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	307430

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-29 23.29.13 (800x600).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	307431
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

@deejayoh, Nice!

These are sourdough loaves baked about a year old but figured, what the heck. The small loaves are 800g and dutch oven baked with about 25-30% home milled Whole wheat flour and the remainder AP. The 2 separate big loaves use the same formula and are about 2.3Kg 5lbs and baked on a pizza stone with a stainless steel mixing bowl inverted to maintain the steam.

Chris
              Last edited by SCChris; 03-06-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                For the fun of it, the thread is hoped to provide a location to post bread photos, WFO or not, sourdough or not..

Chris

PS these are not WFO but are sourdough.
                Just started experimenting with my new barrel-vault oven. Here are a few shots of my house sourdough loaves using KA bread flour, and Stone-Burr when I ran out of KA. Schweinshaxen followed today's bake session. Man can't live on bread alone.

-Jim

Comment

Originally posted by vertigopilot View Post
                  Man can't live on bread alone.
                  Truer words were never spoken!

Chris

PS nice loaves

Comment

Here is part of the weekend's bake. The weekend started with a quick croissant class, followed by a Sunday bake of brioche and finally these guys.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                      Here is part of the weekend's bake. The weekend started with a quick croissant class, followed by a Sunday bake of brioche and finally these guys.

Chris
                      Gorgeous loaves! I haven't yet worked up the courage to try brioche or croissant. Would love to hear your method.

Comment

Thanks Veritgopilot! Re Brioche, It is a strange feeling dough to work with and I don’t recommend it for anyone that doesn't have a good mixer but I do feel like it’s a great candidate for the WFO. Unlike breads that rely on steam to develop the crust, the brioche is brushed with an egg wash, no steam or additional humidity is required and the temps don’t compete with deck baked loaves. Brioche bakes around 350-375F and it does require a loaf pan of some kind. I suppose that you could braid the loaf on parchment, i.e challah.

Brioche dough is first mixed without the butter, really mixed until you can pull a very thin membrane of dough "window pane", and then the butter is added a bit at a time. In the end the mixing time is about 20+- minutes and because of this temperature can become a problem, in the dough and the mixer both. The dough should finish below 85F. The mixer can overheat if you try to make too much dough and that’s not good for a mixer, think $. Maintaining lower temps in the dough is easy, start with chilled flour, milk and eggs and add small pieces of chilled butter.

Here is an easy starter recipe Lazy Man's Brioche | The Fresh Loaf and you can built the amount of butter up as you get a feel for it.

Croissant dough is new to me so I can’t say too much yet but I am heartened by how tolerant the dough is as long as the temps are kept low. How low? The working temp of the dough is somewhere around 60F and the proofing somewhere around 75. Above these temps bad things start to happen.

I think Croissant, laminated dough breads, would also work well in a WFO on parchment nested in sheet pans due to the vast amount of butter that can be rendered..

Oh man, I'm salivating thinking about how great butter croissants taste..

Chris
                        Last edited by SCChris; 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Dang! These are some nice looking breads! I am ashamed to post pictures of my attempts at bread. Anyone know of a bread-tutor for hire?

Comment

Jeeppiper, no worries on posting, I bet your breads taste great. Anyway, This site is a huge resource, ovens and otherwise.

Chris
                            Last edited by SCChris; 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Faith in Virginia did a thread a while back on Croissants. Use Search to find the thread Croissants in What You Cooked Last Night. She used the basic formula from a book by Suas, but does give the formula and process in post #20. A very interesting thread and well worth the read.
                              Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                              Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                              Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                              Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X