My 1st Attemp at Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st Attemp at Bread

My first attempt at bread - not too bad. The consensus was it needs more salt (and I think a little more sugar). Made 4 loaves. Didn't take picture of 2nd baguette but it did come out straight

Re: My 1st Attemp at Bread

Pretty nice for a first try, better than I could do.

If you are looking for Bread inspiration with some salt measurements. You can try some of Chef Bart's recipes. I included two links below.

Sweet Anise Bread

And my personal favorite Rosemary Focaccia

Thanks for participating.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
      My first attempt at bread - not too bad. The consensus was it needs more salt (and I think a little more sugar). Made 4 loaves. Didn't take picture of 2nd baguette but it did come out straight

Bread like baguettes should not require any sugar. What is your recipe.

It looks like you could use a little more time fermenting.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

I used a very basic recipe that I found on the interweb that called for honey (which I didn't have). I didn't follow it to the letter so I guess it isn't fair to fully critique it yet. Also (GREAT eye Chip) I let this dough rise twice over two hours then formed and rise another hour. Agreed they needed more time. The idea was to try anything just to see if I had the basic concept down. I will report back when I follow a recipe precisely and dont improvise.

Thanks for the links!

Comment

TLK, Your bread is looking great. Here's a link to the recipe that I use.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/t...s-19037-8.html

The recipe is on post number 77. I pretty much think it's a no fail type of recipe. I just doubled that recipe today, and made 20 loaves.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
            TLK, Your bread is looking great. Here's a link to the recipe that I use.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/t...s-19037-8.html

The recipe is on post number 77. I pretty much think it's a no fail type of recipe. I just doubled that recipe today, and made 20 loaves.
            Thanks for sharing! I will definitely give it a try. What do you do with all that bread after you cook it? Give it away or freeze it? Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by TLK View Post
              Thanks for sharing! I will definitely give it a try. What do you do with all that bread after you cook it? Give it away or freeze it? Looks great!
              The difference between making one loaf and 10 really isn't that big, so I always make a full oven full (which is 10 for me). I usually eat 1 right away, keep 1 out for the next day, save 1-2 (freeze), and give my neighbors the rest. I send my oldest daughter around the neighborhood to make deliveries. Image the treat of having a beautiful little 7 year old, knock on your door, and surprise you with a hot loaf of sourdough. She comes back every time, and is amazed how much the neighbors thank her, praise her, and are so happy to get one of our loaves. That being said, making bread is relatively time consuming. This last bake, i kept 6 for myself.
              Last edited by okn; 06-06-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Wanted to also say I read your entire post and enjoyed watching how you out it all together. Wish I documented mine a little more. And good on you for cooking w your 7 yr old and keeping her involved! Those lessons will last a lifetime ��

Comment

A close friend of mine bakes 10 loaves every Friday night, but there's just his wife & son at home. He takes the surplus down to the pub and gives it away; most recipients buy him a pint. Loaf = 20p Beer = ?3.00 !
                  Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
                    A close friend of mine bakes 10 loaves every Friday night, but there's just his wife & son at home. He takes the surplus down to the pub and gives it away; most recipients buy him a pint. Loaf = 20p Beer = ?3.00 !
                    Thanks,
                    Now, I have all of my retirement plans in place .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello TLK

Here is a link to a recipe I use with great results in my oven. Both home oven and Pizza oven.

3 cups warm water.
                      5 1/2 cups all purpose flower (Unbleached)
                      1 1/2 Table spoons Course salt
                      1 1/2 Table spoons yeast.
                      Mix in a plastic container and allow to rise 2 hour. Put in fridge till next day. Cut off a ball of dough, shape it into a ball and allow it to rise on a corn dusted peal for 45 minutes to 90 minutes.
                      Bake at 450 for 33 to 35 minutes.

The book has a lot of great recopies. It is well worth getting.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_c53AYZMGM

Comment

Working...
                      X