Proofing - raising questions????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proofing - raising questions????

Jim - I should have remembered that about the clorine from our fish-tank days! A website for the Guelph Food Technology Centre indicates that water with 50 to 100 ppm of calcium carbonate is ideal but my water bottle gives no indication of that content so I'll just go with it and see ...
    I've now sent you my address, so you can go ahead and beam up that starter - I'm looking forward to putting it to use - very much appreciated, thanks!

Comment

John, I took your advice to heart - look at all the nice slash patterns I made ! I should have filmed it, then I'd have my real own slasher movie...

The two on the right and the one front centre are sourdough, with a total rising time of 12 hours from gloop to oven . One of these weekends I swear I'll manage a two day rise with the full two sponges etc. but in the meantime it still tastes delicious and rises at least as well as convetional bread...

I've been thinking, since I don't get to pet my yeast culture, maybe I should at least give it a name... I was thinking Yorick - Yorick the yeast has a sort of ring to it. But then Yorick is dead, so maybe Methusalem would be better. Or Medusa or Hydra. Sarah's got it easy, she can call hers Jim...
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances:

All I can say is "Wow!" You took to this like a duck to water. Those are just gorgeous. Great crumb on the sliced one. Great crusts and spring on all of them. At the risk of being redundant, wow! Can you teach me how to do that?

Comment

Wow, thanks John!

My method is very simple: See, you mix some flour and water and it just kind of happens...

Piece of cake... er, bread. Probably due to a strong resident yeast strain and beginners luck.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Absolutely amazing!! Those loaves look ... good enough to eat - you and Yorick did a nice job! If mine end up half as good as yours, I'll be happy.

I threw some flour & water together yesterday, to see what happens while I wait for Jim's starter to arrive (never been a patient person and I'm suffering from cabin fever too); it's got bubbles after 24 hours - could that possibly be yeast at work already? I don't know if the faint yeast odour I think I detect is real or wishful thinking. I've posted a photo below ...

Comment

Nice work Frances. Very professional appearance. They look yummy!
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

sarah:

That's not wishful thinkin', that's yeast. Just judging by the photos, and I can't even smell it. If you could post a smellavision, I'd have a better feel for it, but right now, I'm thinking yeast.

Comment

Thank you George and Sarah!

Sarah, that stuff looks just like mine did. You'll be baking sourdough in no time...

Comment

HTML Code:
                    That's not wishful thinkin', that's yeast.
                    Cool!
                    So at this point, do I feed it, refrigerate it, or both?

Comment

Stir it daily, don't refrigerate yet. It's not strong enough. Feed it if you feel like it, though I think the books get carried away with feeding. Some have you feeding up to four times a day. That's just plain overindulgence; nobody likes a fat yeast culture. I fed mine once a week when I started it.

Comment

Sarah,

Okay, so you're not a patient type; neither am I. You gotta send me your address if you want me to send you some starter. Still don't have it. Shoot me an email.

Jim
                        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hmmmm ... I did, as an FB 'Private Message' that you responded to, so I thought you had it - no problem, I'll send it again - should be there in a few minutes.
                          Jim, I hope you didn't think I was suggesting I was impatient with you, I just meant that once I get an idea in my head, well, it just doesn't rest till I act on it, so I thought I'd play with some various options in the interim.

Comment

Sarah,

Nope, not at all. My fault. You did send it previously, and I did lose it immediately. Now the info is safe in my inbox. I'll feed the starter over the next two days to make sure it's at the peak before I send it. Expedited mail, even to Ottawa, would be a good idea, because I don't want it hanging around in a sorting machine somewhere.

Apologies; brain burn.

Jim

Comment

No problem, and I doubt it's you - the technological age, for all it improves things, does have its glitches. Your starter will be particularly welcome because the stuff I'm playing with here now looks and smells nasty! I stirred it this morning, then chucked it in the fridge. I haven't had the nerve yet to haul it out for another look.
                              As for the mail, please don't overdo on postage as things coming from your direction (at least, from north of Belleville) seem to routinely arrive in just a day or two.
                              Thanks, Jim!

Comment

Sarah,

Workin on it. Should be soon. I'll let you know when I pull the trigger.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X