Steam cleaning bread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam cleaning bread.

While surfing the I-net yesterday i came across a site (don't remember how or where) that sells a system for producing steam for baking artisinal bread. It basically consists of a "As Seen On TV"-style steam cleaning machine and a metal cover with a hole in it. The cover goes over the bread, steam jet gets inserted, 'squirt, squirt with the steam', and remove cover a few minutes later.

The cover seems a bit unnecessary... but using a steam cleaning machine for producing hot moist air seems quite ingenious. Anyone tried such a method?

Re: Steam cleaning bread.

A free, clean tuna can with a few holes in the bottom works as good as a steam injection system as far as I am concerned. Thats all I have ever used for my breads and sometimes not even that. I would only add the can when I didn't have a full oven. The dough gives off a tremendous amount of steam.
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Re: Steam cleaning bread.

We simply use a hand held atomizer/sprayer that can be bought relatively inexpensively at the very big, poorly staffed home center of your choice. You may buy the handheld or the larger one with a wand. In the second case I would recommend the copper wand if you plan to stick it inside your hot oven!
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
      X