Versachi's bread adventure's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versachi's bread adventure's

Well here are the pics from the baking I did in the last hour. I used the recipe's from the Bread Bakers Apprentice (thanks again Jim). I made Ciabatta with both a Biga and Poolish pre-ferments. In the pics I have the Biga's are on the right and the Poolish ciabatta's are on the left. I used a little tray with some water for steam and took it out for the last 10 minutes to get the crust I wanted. (To tell the truth I just wanted anything resembling a crust). They tasted fine but both seemed a little heavy eating them. The hole structure on the Poolish was a lot better than the Biga. Any thoughts and please don't hold back, I can take it.?

Check out the pic of the thermocouple reader. No no it's not Celcius! Can't wait until I post a pic of 0F or lower later on this year

Cheers, John
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Re: Versachi's bread adventure's

They all look terrific! I can't wait till I can do that too!
    And I've always preferred a dense and heavy bread to a light and airy one so they'd suit me just fine.

Sarah

Comment

Versachi,
      they really look good, good crust depth, nice volume, we have found the poolish version of the ciabatta to produce a more irregular crumb also...I believe it is due to slightly different hydration from the biga version, amazing how such similar things can behave and look so different. We use mostly the biga when we bake ciabatta
      Nice job!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Good work John....a couple slices of that and you would actually feel like you've eaten something...as opposed to supermarket bread (or fluff as I call it)
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Baked a little more Ciabatta last night with the poolish pre-ferment. I am having better luck mixing by hand and not using my KA mixer. The hole structure looks much better than my earlier versions. I wish I could bottle the smell that comes out of the oven when you open the door to let the steam out! So much fun, even at -20C!

Cheers, John
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

John,

Way to go, my man. The first batch was good, the second much more better. It might be that your KA's friction factor means the first batch was somewhat overheated, hence the bit of density and close crumb. The hand kneaded batch shows that it wasn't overheated at all. Have a look at Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes, pp. 382-85, for techniques to account for ingredient temperature and mixer friction.

Keep it up, yer on a roll.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

WOW...way to go is right...that looks great!!!...
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Awesome breads! We'd all love to put out a product like that! Did you take oven temp readings during the bake? I have a funny feeling that my oven isn't saturated enough before I empty the coals. It seems to be cooling off quickly after I remove them. (It's insulated with a box of Insulfrax and more than nine full bags (6cu.ft.bags) of vermiculite! At least 6 of 7 inches all around.) I've only tried some so-called 'quick breads', but I'm having a problem with them rising or browning.
                Rick
                View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Sounds like adequate insulation...better than mine...expound a bit on your method...I might be able to help
                  Dutch
                  Originally posted by oventhusiast View Post
                  Awesome breads! We'd all love to put out a product like that! Did you take oven temp readings during the bake? I have a funny feeling that my oven isn't saturated enough before I empty the coals. It seems to be cooling off quickly after I remove them. (It's insulated with a box of Insulfrax and more than nine full bags (6cu.ft.bags) of vermiculite! At least 6 of 7 inches all around.) I've only tried some so-called 'quick breads', but I'm having a problem with them rising or browning.
                  Rick

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I am trying to use this forum as a guide to lead me to better bread.

Rick, I have been trying to get my oven to even out at about 500F I don't usually have my bricks soaked enough on the floor to get 500F two inches down but it is usually within a 100F. If you are unhappy with your bread it might be an idea to take a picture a crossection of one of them. The experts here might be able to tell more from looking at the inside than the outside.

Cheers, John

Comment

Baked a little more yesterday. Made some Ciabatta with a recipe from the book "Crust" by Richard Bertinet which I really liked. Also made the chive and cheddar bread from the Bread Bakers Apprentice and a type of beer bread from "Crust". I would cook more pizzas but my oven is a ways back in the yard and with it being winter its too cold to run back and forth with pizza. I'll stick to baking some bread till it warms up.

I tried my hand at a basic sourdough but since I haven't aquired the taste for that type of bread I had hoped that I could make something that I liked. No such luck. The bread turned out ok but I just can't get myself to eat it. Sweet tooth I guess.

Cheers, John

Comment

John,

If your taste does not run to sourdough or levain breads, but you do have Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, try the Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread on page 147. It just might fill up that sweet tooth. Be sure to soak the raisins in water overnight. This is an enriched bread, so the crust will get very dark in a WFO if you don't tent it with foil for the last few minutes of the bake.

I'd try to find two or three bread formulas you really like, then stick with them until you can make them consistently well. After that stage, it's easier to branch out.

Don't know what happened in TB, but we got absolutely walloped by yesterday's snow storm. It's still dark this morning, so I can't really see how deep it is, but probably about 25 cms. Shovelling snow is not one of my favs.

Jim

Comment

John,

If your taste does not run to sourdough or levain breads, but you do have Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, try the Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread on page 147. It just might fill up that sweet tooth. Be sure to soak the raisins in water overnight. This is an enriched bread, so the crust will get very dark in a WFO if you don't tent it with foil for the last few minutes of the bake.

I'd try to find two or three bread formulas you really like, then stick with them until you can make them consistently well. After that stage, it's easier to branch out.

Don't know what happened in TB, but we got absolutely walloped by yesterday's snow storm. It's still dark this morning, so I can't really see how deep it is, but probably about 25 cms. Shovelling snow is not one of my favs.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, I am going to try and stick to a couple of breads that I like and try and make them the way I like consistently, then as you say "branch out". I am still learning how my oven works and it will probably be that way for awhile. I will take a look at that walnut recipe you mentioned, sounds just right for me!

Fortunately will missed that storm but a couple of weeks ago we had something similar. Nothing nice about shoveling snow. Looks nice in pictures but it ends there imo.

I think Ottawa got it the worst. Sarah H any reports?

Cheers, John

Comment

Working...
                            X