The dog ate my starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dog ate my starter

I got up this morning to find an empty tupperware container in the middle of my dining room floor. Grrrrrrrrr. I was just bragging yesterday about how alive my starter was and how happy I've been with my sourdough bread. I fed the starter and left it in my kitchen windowsill then forgot about it. That won't happen again. Ok, maybe it will. I'm really forgetful. Our windowsills are very low, just the right height for a boxer's nose.

So, this morning I mixed up a new batch. It took me at least 2 months to get it where I liked it last time.

I wonder what the starter is doing in my dog's stomachs. I have 2 boxers and earlier in the day they had gorged themselves on manure my husband had put in the garden. I guess I'm lucky there wasn't more of a mess on my floor this morning. No turkey leftovers for them today.
    Karen

Re: The dog ate my starter

Funny!! Good luck with the new starter...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Karen,

Be patient with a new starter. As you know, it takes time. Alternately, I could send you some of mine, dried. All you would have to do is rehydrate it. Sometimes when I ship it, a bit of mould occurs, but you could just cut it off. Let me know what you'd like to do. My starter is about four-five years old.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim. I think I'll just be patient and wait for mine to come around again. One day I'd like to do that though. I'd love to compare breads using different people's starters and at different ages. Karen

Comment

Those dogs must have quite a stomach!
          My curiosity is getting the most of me, how do you dry the starter? Do you just leave it out?

Comment

BG,

Starters should never get too warm; that's what causes mould. I measure out a few ounces onto a plate, cover it loosely with plastic wrap, then put it in a cool place to dry. No mystery. Works.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
            X