Sticky nann?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky nann?

Hey, Take a look at this link for Nann bread, particularly click on the photo in the lower left corner. It shows a baker cooking bread in a tandoor oven, I think.

Naan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What gets me is that the bread seems to be stuck on the sides of the oven! How do they get them to stick there?

Neat.

Jim, ever slung dough at the side of your barrel oven?
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Sticky nann?

XJ,

I've certainly made lots of naan in my barrel vault oven, but I usually just flip them, by hand, onto the hearth. Never tried the sides, maybe I should, just to see if it works. Their dough must be pretty wet to get it to stick to the sides like that. I've certainly seen demos of flat breads being baked this way, but I've never actually witnessed it in person. Only problem in my oven is that it would be quite a reach to get to the sides; shape just isn't right. Even so, I'll give it a shot next time.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I've seen them do it in several Indian restaraunts in Europe, twice in Prague. They use pretty big tandor ovens and just lean over from the top and give the dough a good slap onto the wall. For the life of me, I cannot remember how they fish the naan out of the oven.

I think you're correct about the extreme hydration of the dough. That, and the lack of intense heat, may explain why I've never been able to reproduce the texture or taste of tandori naan in a conventional oven.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I posted the pic in a Tandoor post and here's what dave/dmum said:

"I once spent an evening looking at you-tube videos of nann and tandoor videos. They stretch out the dough just like for pizza, place it on a pillow-like object, then they spray or brush something on the sticky side of the naan, maybe just water, to get it to stick. Then they use the pillow-thing to press it to the side of the tandoor. When it's done, they usually use tongs or a hooked rod to pull it out."
        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I took a youtube recipe and applied it to the pizza oven this past weekend.

Turned out great! well after the first one....

I had dialed back the heat on the oven and got a frisbee on the first one.

We then stoked it back up and had some great Naan! patting it back and forth with wet hands to make it sticky seems to make a difference in how much it pops up.

The chicken curry was just right for Jeff and I ... Our wives liked it as well with equal amounts of yougurt to offset the pain.

Indian night at the po was a hit!!!!

Christo
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

The "pillow thing" is called a bread pad. And a skewer and a very small peel are used to get the bread out of the tandoori oven. You might try the following website for tandoori tools:

http://www.nishienterprise.com/Tando...ories-s/64.htm

I was thinking about building a tandoori oven next to my oven, but I tried making Naan last weekend for the first time and no need for the tandoori, my oven works fine. Naan better!

I might try and weld up a skewer rack for inside the oven to hold 6-8 skewers horizontal that way I can cook just like a tandoori except on a different axis.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
            X