No Knead, Pain and Vienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Knead, Pain and Vienna

I haven't been on here that regular this year....in part helping out my mate get his oven up and running - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...1_100_2789.JPG
    Is this the first oven on here with the doghouse underneath?

Ok...I got inspired early in the year after I got a copy of Reinhards breadbakers apprentice - great book. I've also been reading the pain a lancienne thread and have given it a couple trys. The other night I thought I'd try 3 breads, so here it is

The "Pain" is partly challenging - James it is heaps sticky but also a lot of fun. I did the couche and then slid the doughs onto the peel(which was dusted with semolina) and slid them straight onto the hearth. A couple slid a bit quick so I got some interesting shapes. I misted the oven and halfway through the bake cracked the door and let them brown off the last bit. Seemed to come out fine.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Re: No Knead, Pain and Vienna

Part 2 - Vienna
    Well my wife is not really into the thicker heavier hearth breads so I also did a "Vienna style". I followed it by the book and was fairly confident they would do well......but just as I misted the oven and put the door on I had this bad feeling that I didn't slash the top of them. I was baking a mixture of loaves at once and forgot.
    Other than that it seemed to come out spot on. Bread was fairly even and light - I think I fluked that one. The wife loves it though so I put that down as a success.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Part 3 - No Knead....well a mix between bread and a lean calzone, some might say
      Ok I had some bread flour that was getting due to be used up. So I mixed up my 3rd lot of dough using the No-Knead recipe. As I had been cooking pizza before all this I ended up with some extra ingredients - tomatoe sauce, anchovies, ham, mozarella, onion, bbq sauce etc. So I had this idea - why don't I sort of flatten out the dough into a torpedo shape - put in a small amount of these left over toppings and then roll the side over the top of the ingredients and pinch together. Kinda like a calzone but just a small layer of ingredients through out the length of it. They were funny to load on the trays you will see that they are on - When I cracked the door to let of the steam I slipped them off the trays and onto the hearth to finish off.

They taste great the next day (cool or reheated) and I have frozen a few and taken them to work to eat for lunch - defrost, heat and eat.

Interesting thing with this No Knead dough is I once got caught short with pizza dough and had some no knead dough sitting there (with the intention to bake breat with it). I floured it up a bit and pushed it out quite flat and used it for a pizza dough - different but still quite tasty.

And there is two final pictures showing my nights efforts all piled up after cooling down

At the end of the night I was pretty beat and was sitting down finishing off a quiet drink........its kinda of like an adventure for me......you come on here at FB, get some info. & inspiration and then get cracking - all good
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Lovely bread!

It looks (an sounds) like you had lots of fun! Not surprising you were tired at the end of it though...

Bread filled with leftovers is a cool idea - I'll bet everyone at work will want some of your lunch, too.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

yeah they often joke about the shape - took some in to share the next day and it all went - and they are all still alive
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Great job Bacterium................I never cease to be amazed by the results coming out of these ovens, often by less experienced bakers. Gives us bread virgins a bit of confidence.

Comment

Wow, loads of bread! That's a lot of work huh? Hopefully you have loads of friends to feed, or perhaps a small army.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Way to go Damon,
                I'm feeling envious. It looks great to eat and like it was a lot of fun.

Do you have neighbors to share all those wonderful baguettes with?
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

thanks for the comments, I must say thanks to those who share their experiences as well, great inspiration. Yeah the time before I baked, I gave a far bit out but this time I froze most of it. I'm actually sitting here eating some of baquettes with cheese now.

It is a bit of work with the preparation but its all fun - I guess if its 2 loaves or 8 the actual difference in work is not too much.

I'm currently rebuilding a 2nd hand planetary mixer (I'm an electrician by trade) which will be useful for mixing up 5-10kg batches of dough. See I have an idea(yes my wife thinks I have too many of these) of having "baking days" with my mates(the more culinary minded ones). Basically everyone brings something to cook in the WF oven for the afternoon/evening. Once cooked we try each others things out and then share the produce among ourselves. Can you imagine it breads, rolls, deserts, cakes, cookies, pizza or whatever........friends, food and of course a beer - lets call it the "social trinity"

Frances its funny how you said "it looks (an sounds)......" - when I was removing the baquettes out of the oven they were actually making a low crackling kind of noise for the next few minutes - Reinhart is right when he says that the bread is still undergoing the cooking process even after its removed from the oven.

o yeah I'm working on my temperatures more specifically now...instead of the missisipi method I've gone digital

amore
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Not the first doghouse potential...although we do not encourage it!
                    Bread looks great, very appetizing!
                    Dutch
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Damon,

Reinhart, as usual, is bang on. The first time I pulled a fully baked boule out of my WFO on a cold winter day, I almost panicked because of the really pronounced crackling noise. I set the bread down on my outside counter and watched as a spider web of tiny cracks developed in the crust. That's inevitable when the hearth temp is 550F and the outside air temp is around
                      -10 F. Didn't affect the bread any, so I just got used it. I always try to tell my workshop people to "wait, wait, it's still baking." They never listen.

Jim
                      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

When we do pizza we always overcater so toppings that are left over go to making calzones. The oven temp has dropped anyhow and the temp is perfect. Usually everyone is so full we have to keep the calzones for the next day's lunch.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                        X