Dough just keeps on rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough just keeps on rising

Hi, I usually make my dough a day in advance. I knead, rise 2-3 hours, knock back, store in fridge overnight. I use Hovis Extra Strong flour usually. When I store in fridge I usually find that it keeps on and on rising. Usually it bursts out of the plastic wrap covering it and starts to dry up! Is this down to the quantity of yeast? I normally use a teaspoon of dried. What's the right quantity? Or is it something else?
    Thanks
    R
    Last edited by RichC; 08-06-2015, 12:18 AM.

You do not say how much flour you are using. I would try cutting the yeast back a bit. Try 3/4 teaspoon, if it still rises too much go to 1/2 teaspoon.

David

Comment

Thanks David. I vary the quantities of flour i use. The last time I made it I did cut back and it reduced how much it rose overnight so that might be the solution. Is there a magic number in % of weight that I should be using? Are all dried yeasts pretty much the same?
      Thanks
      Rich

Comment

Hello Rich

I have not been checking this site very often since the update.

There are % methods of measuring the ingredients but I am not too familiar with that method, There are several bread books that explain the method or you could ask Google.

There is an excellent book that has some information on bread percentages. From the Wood-Fired Oven by Richard Miscovich.

David

Comment

Working...
        X