Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the coldest outside temp you have baked bread in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the coldest outside temp you have baked bread in.

I made a batch of garlic and herb focaccia bread yesterday, and it got me thinking. What is the coldest outside temp you have baked bread or made pizza in. It was -7F when I was baking yesterday. I know it doesn't matter to the oven. It was 2 days since I had the fire and I had to get rid of some heat to get the right temp for the bread. About 475F, so I had to cool it about 100 degrees. It came out great, and like a true Minnesotan I was out there in a t-shirt and nothing more. Well pants and shoes but no jacket.

Randy

Well I guess it doesn't like that picture

Comment

Randy,

I wouldn't even go to bed without a sweatshirt at -7 degrees . You reckon that your computer may have froze up .
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-11-2016, 06:11 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I know it was cold yesterday - watched the Seahawk game and saw plenty of ice-beards. I was going to post a picture of the missed field goal but thought better of it and wanted to say sorry the Vikings had to lose that way. I was sure the game was over when they lined up to kick.
        I hope I can get anywhere near the heat retention out of my oven that you are getting out of yours!
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Jr yes the heat retention is great. Almost a little too good if that is possible. If I have it fully soaked with heat and put the door in I will have over 700F the next day and we'll over 600 the day after that. I haven't been carefully watching after that, but I know it will take at least 10 days to fully cool. As for the Vikings I don't watch much sports and my in laws are from WI so if I was going to cheer for a team it would probably be the Packers. Gulf this is just the first cold snap. To me it doesn't seem to bad. I don't zip my jacket or wear a hat and gloves when I go to work. It doesn't feel that cold to me. If I am out for a long time I will dress acordingly.

Randy

Comment

Randy,
            Have you tried that photo again?
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

We will try this again. The after picture I screwed up and took in a text message and forgot to take a normal one and it wound up kinda small. That was the previous problem as I had shrunk is as I normally do.

Randy

Comment

I recently did 6 pizzas in - 10? F. Froze the Buffalo Mozzarella & tomato. Made stretching the dough a challenge. But that's about it. One week later I did six more pizzas but the temperatures had zoomed to above 70?F. Welcome to February in NY.

Comment

Good morning , I am based in the UK and have a pizza trailer and I am really struggling with getting the right ish temperature, How do I cook 20 pizzas one after the other and maintaining decent temperature throughout by cooking say 2 at a time, My friend demonstrated to me with kiln dried logs that you put a log into the w.f.o and it loses about 100-150 degrees, he says it takes up energy and reduces the temperature and hes spot on, I would be verygrateful for any advice. Thanks

Comment

How thick is the floor of your oven? My guess is that it is rather thin and able to hold the heat that you need to keep cooking. I am sure that putting logs in could drop the temp for a moment but I don't think that is your problem. My guess is that you could put a layer of fire brick splits on the floor to increase the thermal mass. It will take a little longer to heat up but should help with through put I would think.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X