Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book recomendations

Originally posted by carioca View Post
    I would be interested in your recipe ingredients, if you would be kind enough to list them!
    Since it's available on-line anyway, here it is:

Heat the following in a pan until the butter is melted and then let cool to room temperature.

4 oz (1/2 cup or 115 g) butter
    8 oz (1 cup or 225 g) milk

Add the milk-butter mixture to:

9 oz (about a cup or 255g) white starter
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp (packed) brown sugar
    6 oz (about 1 1/2 cups or 170 g) all purpose flour

Mix these together to form a thick batter, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-14 hours. If you do this before going to bed, you?ll have the batter ready for breakfast the next day.

Preheat your waffle iron for 10-15 minutes.

Uncover the batter and whisk in 2 large eggs and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cups of batter on the hot waffle iron and close the lid. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Re: Book recomendations

Thanks a lot, dbhansen! Will try this at the weekend... one thing that puzzles me is the inclusion of a rising agent (baking soda) at the final stage - I see this type of thinking a lot, as if people somehow don't trust the 'natural' stuff, i.e. sourdough :-)

As regards books, I concur heartily with canuckjim's reccommendation of the Leader book, Local breads! It has taken over, for me, from Reinhart's books (which nevertheless I also study a lot..)

Cheers,

LMH
      "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
      X