Book recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recomendations

I know that Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice and the Hamelman one are the most recommended books, but seeing as I've already got a nice wild yeast culture going and have quite enough information about what is actually happening in the dough for the time being thank you very much - although I'll probably come back for more later - right now I'd like to know what other books are out there?

Specifically I would like a practical one with different wild yeast recepts, one that will help me vary my bread a bit. Can you add butter to the dough? Or milk? Or pumpkins? Can you make bagels with a wild yeast starter? That kind of thing...

What about Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads, has anyone got that one already?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Re: Book recomendations

I have the whole grain book. I like it as well or even better than "the apprentice". I prefer a whole grain bread to white. His approach to this book
    is a bit more relaxed. I would buy it again.

--mr.jim
    --mr.jim
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
    unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Frances
      You can certainly do any of those things...bake times will be slightly different with doughs enriched with butter, milk, eggs, etc.
      As for the bagels the answer is yes also...CJim might use a wild yeast starter for his bagels but I am not sure...I might not recommend it because bagels can be a touchy subject and I am somewhat of a traditionalist New Yorker when it comes to bagels...proof time will most likely be longer...could be an interesting experiment though...
      The Whole Grain Breads book is a worthy investment...I received it as a gift at Christmas and have enjoyed the alteration in some of the technique of creating great bread...
      Good luck and be sure to post the results
      Best
      Dutch
      Originally posted by Frances View Post
      I know that Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice and the Hamelman one are the most recommended books, but seeing as I've already got a nice wild yeast culture going and have quite enough information about what is actually happening in the dough for the time being thank you very much - although I'll probably come back for more later - right now I'd like to know what other books are out there?

Specifically I would like a practical one with different wild yeast recepts, one that will help me vary my bread a bit. Can you add butter to the dough? Or milk? Or pumpkins? Can you make bagels with a wild yeast starter? That kind of thing...

What about Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads, has anyone got that one already?
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Reinhart says that a wet sourdough started can easily be substituted for pate fermente in virtually any artisan type bread. Frances, if you don't own this book, buy it. You'll be very very happy with the numerous varieties of recipies for breads from all over the world and great photos of bread shaping techniques.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thank you for the feedback! Ok, I'll order the whole grain one right away and let you know how it turns out...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Thorne's Outlaw Cook.

Comment

Frances,

Bar none on the new book side of the equation: Daniel Leader, Local Breads. I've used it extensively, along with Reinhart's Whole Grain. Both are light years ahead of what we could get only a few years ago.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Well then, I will make the investment in Leader then and not Hamelman...I have his Bread Alone
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Reinhart's Whole Grain arrived a couple of days ago. Lovely book! And with all the new info (whew!) of course there are lots of new questions, too...

Basically, compared to regular sourdough bread, what he is saying is you should soak the whole meal flour for a day before making the dough. Right?

But from what I can see his recipes all call for instant yeast as well as a preferment... Has anyone tried any with just the sourdough starter? I don't really see why it shouldn't work with longer rising times...

Yesterday I tried his whole wheat mash bread. The reason being my oven was just at the right temp for making the mash (about 70 C) the day before baking . And its very very nice. But not quite as good as the sourdough. Astonishingly good considering that its whole grain though...

Last question for the time being: is there any reason against treating one of the regular soakers in these recipes like a mash and putting it in the oven at 70 C for three hours?

Ok ok, maybe I'll stick to the book a bit before experimenting Here's the bread aynway (the tin-baked one in the foreground):

Comment

If sourdough bread interests you, you must read this book:

Amazon.com: Outlaw Cook: Matt Lewis Thorne, John Thorne: Books

Comment

Paula Figoni "How baking works" - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Frances, just in case you didn't seen that post. It's not exactly (well, exactly not) what you are looking but this book worth.

Comment

Amazon.com: Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur: Nancy Silverton: Books

This book is what got me started on the whole wood-fired thing. I started baking her breads and was looking for a way to improve...

All wild yeast recipes...
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I'll second that vote for the La Brea book; an excellent resource.

And Frances, this comes a little late, but your breads look AMAZING!! I can't wait to start baking in my WFO using recipes from all these great books.
                          Picasa web album
                          Oven-building thread

Comment

By the way, the La Brea book has the best sourdough waffle recipe I (and my family, and friends, and their friends...) have ever tasted. It also has a sourdough bagel recipe, but I haven't tried that yet.
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

Originally posted by dbhansen View Post
                              By the way, the La Brea book has the best sourdough waffle recipe I (and my family, and friends, and their friends...) have ever tasted. It also has a sourdough bagel recipe, but I haven't tried that yet.
                              Hey!

I've scoured the internet for a recipe for waffles like my granma made in the rhineland - the result is I'm getting fat but haven't found the real mckoy yet.

The best I had so far used sour cream...

I would be interested in your recipe ingredients, if you would be kind enough to list them!

Cheers,

LMH

(My oven dwells at Picasa Web Albums - carioca - Forno_del_gallo )
                              "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
                              X