We went to our local Farmer's Market/Craftfair -- Tuesday evenings in downtown Monterey -- and my highlight was an Indian restaurant making naan in two gas-fired tandoor ovens. Very cool.

They had trays of dough balls that looked remarkably like pizza dough balls. The chefs patted them out to where they looked like a pizza base -- then they stuck them to the side of the tandoor oven. They used a round, padded tool to force the naan against the oven side -- where it would stick and bake for about one minute. A nice char on the side touching the oven, and a golden brown on the other side. The un-stuck them with a wire hook and stacked them up. It was great.

The tandoor oven was 500?F+. The oven was a refractory cylinder heated with a propane fire. It could hold about 16 naans at a time. The opening is in the top.

I've been complaining about my naan (it's not good) for years. I'm going to try sticking it to the walls next time -- though I need to think about building one of those pads that sticks the naan to the oven wall.

Excellent.
James