Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Naan in a tandoor oven

Hi All,

My wife and I made naan bread on Monday and it was great. I learned a lot about naan recipes by viewing tandoor websites and reading the manufacturer/distributor information and recipes for use in their products. It seems that baking powder is added as insurance so that the bread actually rises and bubbles if either the yeast or soda/yogurt don't do their jobs. Also, many cooks don't make the yeast recipe naan breads and one website stated authentic recipes don't use yeast at all. Having learned all that, I made the baking powder/yeast recipe and it was fantastic. Soft, tender, pillows, of hot bread to go with our chicken tikka and veggie kababs.

The bread pad is indeed referred to as a gaddi. Google "gaddi" to find other meanings. I have first hand experience deconstructing a gaddi and it was a genuine original made of long grass leaves inside and two wrappings of cotton cloth on the outside. The cloths are tied together one over the other. The outside cloth can be laundered when it becomes soiled. The long knots on the back of the gaddi provide a place for beginners to slide their fingers under to get a good grip. Notice that the naan cook moistened both the gaddi and naan with a little water from a bowl. This is essential for keeping the naan on the pad and also helps to stick the bread to the hot clay.

Two tandoor sites I visited provided instructions on how to wipe the clay walls of the tandoor with a light salt solution. This is supposed to help the bread stick. I think it helps cure the clay walls by slightly filling pores in the clay surface.

Tandoors are "black ovens" the charcoal is placed directly in the bottom of the pot and allowed to become fully involved before cooking. I checked temperatures during full heat and found them to vary from middle to top with the hottest area being midway above the air vent. The highest temperature on this particular tandoor was 640 deg F at that location. The naans stuck perfectly....um, mostly....... except for one. This is when I learned that the gaddi should be slightly moistened so the naan will not slide off and into the belly of the dragon. Otherwise, success on our first try.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Congrats, Bob! Did you get your clay pot tandoor-ready already?

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, ordered it on Monday and it arrived on Thursday, all the way from a distributor in Nottingham, England. It was just too easy to buy one than contemplate a build around a clay pot. The clay pots are expensive and shipping is nearly the same as for a finished oven, and it has a nicely crafted stainless steel barrel around it, and wheels, and a nifty set of tools, and a shiny brass handle on the lid, and a weatherproof cover, etc, etc, etc.

Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

azpizzanut,
          Did you buy the Puri tandoor or Golden? Which model?

Comment

Hi Ebbro,

We got the Puri SS2 Ultima.

We considered the economy model that has a painted steel drum. Lucky for us we had a little windfall $ and used it for the stainless steel model. We'd have been happy with either. The staff was professional and made the experience a good one. Mr. Puri sent a personal "thank you" email.

Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Hello guys,

I am a newbie to the whole tandoor thing, I need some advice on how to get the Naan to stick to the wall of the tandoor. such as what do you brush on the side where you slap it on to the tandoor and things of that nature if anyone can give me some advice that would be very helpful

Comment

Hi Tandoornewbie,

Just dampen the dough with a little water, not too much though. The side of the tandoor should be very hot. You may find that a long sleeve cotton shirt will protect you from the heat. The naan should be slapped firmly to the side about midway. Keep your hooked tool handy. Best of luck,
                Bob

Comment

They use a pillow with a tea towel as the final layer to slap it at my Indian Restaurant

http://www.mha-net.org/graphics/wild...r/DSC_3689.JPG

Comment

Hi All,

Look at the information in post #16.

There are lots of interesting naan recipes earlier in the posts. The process is fairly simple....slap a piece of dough against a hot clay pot and watch it cook. Eventually you will learn the technique and success will follow.

Search for "gaddi" online so you can see what they are, or improvise. The technique is to "roll" the dough onto the clay as you slap it into place with the gaddi. I suppose you have to practice a little before the technique becomes natural. View YouTube videos of naan bread being made. Soon you will get the idea.

Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

We are looking at adding a tandoor oven to our outdoor kitchen along with the WFO and the Big Green Egg.
                      Where can I find logs? I need more!
                      Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamG View Post
                        We are looking at adding a tandoor oven to our outdoor kitchen along with the WFO and the Big Green Egg.
                        Graham,

I am about to start building a tandoor oven too. Interested to share experience if you care. I've just started a thread for my planned build here.
                        Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                        I forgot who said that.

Comment

Just sent you 2 options
                          Where can I find logs? I need more!
                          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Hey,

I have been experimenting with Naan for a few weeks now.

Searching on Google for Naan recipes hasn't worked too well for me. Most recipes are the same old ones copied and pasted all over the net for the purpose of click baiting. The ones with the most fake reviews come up first.

My wife is from Pakistan and many times we have been eating at Indian restaurants and I will say something like, "This is truly great Naan", and my wife will say something like, "Yeah, but you haven't tried the Naan in Pakistan."

Well now I have made the naan that she says reminds her of the naan from her country.

I cook them in my wood fired oven, one at a time (my oven is quite small). Our conventional oven doesn't get hot enough.

Recipe for 5 naans (just over 200g each - I make them 220mm diameter)

Dough hydration about 80%
                            Plain Flour: 583g (55%)
                            Salt: 9g (0.85%)
                            Instant Yeast: 6g (0.56%)

Plain Yoghurt: 30g (about two tablespoons) (2.8%)
                            Milk: 200g (19%)
                            Water: 237g (22%)

Hopefully my hydration calculation is right. Using milk instead of water makes the dough look less hydrated.

I mix everything in my stand mixer until just mixed and do a 30 minute autolyse. Then I mix for a few more minutes and leave it for 90 minutes.

Then I divide up into 5 balls.

Then roll them out (stretching doesn't seem to make much difference, rolling is easier and more even).

Then I put them on my pizza peel.

In Pakistan (at least where my wife is from) apparently they usually use sesame seeds (black or white) instead of black onion or black cumin seeds. They have a more subtle flavor. To get the seeds to stick I spray the dough with water first. I spray with water even if I am not adding seeds and it makes the bread look and cook better.

Then I slide them into the wood fired oven at full pizza temperature and rotate them 180 degrees one time after they have puffed up, and take them out once the top has started to brown.

Then I stack them on a cooling rack, brushing each one with butter as I stack them.

Plain flour definitely works better than bread flour. It is less chewy.
                            Last edited by AndrewT; 03-17-2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I've had good success just throwing the Naan breads on the hearth and cooking them like baby pizzas.

If I recall correctly there are some utube videos on guys using that padded mitt thing to wack them on the sides of the tandoori oven.

Comment

The padded mitt thing you are referring to is called a naan gaddi (means cushion in english).

The way it works is that you put the naan dough onto one side of the naan gaddi
                                and grab it by the other side and stick the naan dough onto the wall of the tandoor

Make sure the tandoor walls are hot tho, otherwise the naan dough wont stick and it will drip off.

Once the naan is done it will puff up and get some brown spots on the surface.

Then you can use two naan hook skewers to gently take the naan off the side.

Brush some butter or ghee on it and voila you have some tandoori naan to serve.
                                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-17-2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X