Sourdough starter on holiday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough starter on holiday...

...or rather we will be for nearly three weeks. The sourdough has to stay home

So what should I best do with it? Just leave it in the fridge, ask someone to look after it for me while I'm gone (dough sitting...) or put it in the deep freeze?
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Re: Sourdough starter on holiday...

I'd give it a hefty feeding and leave it in the fridge. I accidentally left mine out on the counter for a week and was still able to bring it back. I've also let it hang out in the fridge for about 2 weeks w/o any ill effects.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Mine survived unattended in the fridge for months. My understanding (which may be flawed) is that the acidity of the starter inhibits mold growth. My starter doesn't make particularly sour tasting bread, but I think that just means I have more lactic acid and less acetic acid.

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
        ...or rather we will be for nearly three weeks. The sourdough has to stay home
        Well if it was a pet you would get someone to come over and check up on it, a starter has to be as important. Hire a sitter.
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
          Well if it was a pet you would get someone to come over and check up on it, a starter has to be as important. Hire a sitter.
          Yeah, but what if they don't treat it right? You know, use strong language in its hearing, let it stay up late nights, stuff it with junk food, or worse ...

I could end up coming back to a traumatised sourdough culture...!!!
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

Frances, my poor, abused starter bounced right back - I'm sure it will be OK but if not, you did it once, so you know you can at least make more if it comes to that. Have a great holiday (sigh of envy here!) and don't even think about that starter while you're gone!

Comment

Yeah....just like stated above, dump half - feed it - stick it in the fridge tightly covered. I have a backup sitting in the back of my fridge that lives in a tightly sealed crock. It comes out about once every 2-3 months. I let it warm up on the counter. Same story - dump half and feed it. Bubbles right up. Another snack and nighty-night.

Comment

Don't worry a bit...3 weeks in the fridge...no harm at all!!!
                Just enjoy the trip!
                Best
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Right, I'll do that. Thanks guys and girl(s)

We're leaving on Friday for two weeks in the Bretagne, France (would that be Brittany in English I wonder?) and on the way back we'll be stopping off at Disney World Paris for a couple of days ... but I'm sure the kids will enjoy it...

Comment

Brittany indeed! I spent a (fantastic) year of my university career living in Rennes, so my envy is very real. Enjoy the vacation!

Comment

During college my daughter studed aboard for one semester at Strausburg. When she was done we picked her up and toured France, the Vernon and Normandy areas. We did go down to Carnac (in Brittany) to see the megaliths. It was early June, before their tourest season and stayed at a great place with a tremendous restaurant - food almost as good as if it came from a WFO!
                      Enjoy your trip.
                      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                      Oven Thread

Comment

Frances, so what happened? What did you find on return? Did it tell you off? Go sour?

I have a mutual starter sitting agreement with a friend ... works well.

:-)
                        W.
                        "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

It was fine, thank you for asking

... well actually I think it got a bit depressend while we were away and turned to drink

Either that or it invited its friends over for a party.

It definately smelt a bit alcoholic once we got back. Nothing that some regular meals and a bit of TLC couldn't take care of though.

I do think the experience has made us stronger and even more commited to each other.

Comment

I am on day two of making my sourdough starter. I LOVE baking sourdough bread during the autumn and winter months here. Hopefully I can post some pics this fall.

Comment

Frances,

I am very pleased your relationship survived this holiday.

Regarding the alcohol, I think it must have been a party and the riff-raff element gatecrashed - wrong kind of yeast happens in the best of families.

Anyway, absence makes the heart go fondue, or what is it they say in Switzerland? Sorry, had a hard day ... hope you'll forgive me. Why, oh why is it not Friday yet? I want to finish the flashing on the oven roof ... it has been raining so hard here.

W.
                              "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

Working...
                              X