Storing bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing bread

I've been baking a lot of bread, and I'm hoping to keep doing it. No more store bought bread. I'm doing hearth bread and focaccia for dinner and various whole wheat loaves for lunch and toast. I like the Hamelman Whole Wheat Oat bread recipes. Excellent.

Anyway, I want to keep all of these fresh for days as we use them.

What are you using to store bread? Paper bag, plastic bag, tupperware, bread basket, etc.?

I am pretty stuck on this one, so any input would be very appreciated.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Storing bread

What we do is, we freeze the bread in day sized portions. We take the bread out every night and leave it defrost in a paper bag which is inside a wooden bread storage thing. And to my mind it tastes as nearly fresh as you can get it without baking each day.

It does mean you need a big freezer though...
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Paper bags work best for us; the Plastic bags and Tupperware seem to make the bread soggy and soften the crust.

Malinda
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do you use regular paper bags -- the type we used to use for a bag lunch?

I have this funny idea of getting a logo for our homemade bread and stamping it on my bread. The kids would get a kick out of it.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

On the bread or on the bag? The first project I printed as a hobby printer many years ago was a brown paper lunch bag. I took some digging but my wife had saved one...photo attached (although the flash reflection does it a dis-service). Since then there have been lots of bags and napkins printed here. Even printed for an older couple that live near you James, (you're on 17 Mile Drive right?) first names: John and Priscilla perhaps you know them? They used to have a home up here and one down there and my wife did canvas work for their boat up here.
          What you might consider is to make connection with a hobby printer in your area. They're (we're) always open for a swap...bread for bags. Should you be interested I know a few who live not too far from you.
          Wiley

Comment

Wiley,

That's it! That's just what I was thinking -- I am feeling even more motivated to do this. Plus, if I have a big bundle of bags, I will stay motivated to keep baking. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, we are about a block from 17 mile drive -- and that's where I do a lot of my running. Low 60's, foggy and nice air; perfect. I will ask Carrie about a John and Priscilla. Of course 17 mile drive is, well, 17 miles -- and there are lots of little roads and neighborhoods the wind off from it.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
              we had something similar going back a while ago but all my efforts have fallen into a hole. The sales rep from the international company has not contacted me with regards to my bread bag enquiry.
              I do have a contact who worked for an Irish bag maker and will explore his experiences into the plastic or foil lines paper bags used and requested from fellow mwmbers.
              See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...bags-4087.html

for the links.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

James;

Yes we use regular old brown paper lunch bags. I think I'll be taking a trip to Michaels craft store to see if I can find a neat rubber stamp to stamp it with!!!
                Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

For those who have the ability to draw and those good with a scanner and computer (clip art etc.) you can generate/create a line image of what you want and have a custom rubber stamp made at many stationary type stores. If you are really adept you can do half-tones but they will need to be fairly coarse. I have been told that one can get a stamp made at "Staples" for those in the US. Since most of those interested are not planning on selling their product but are doing this for their own use, they are most probably exempt from any copyright type restrictions. One could also check out Dover Books who have many books of illustrations as they are usually free of copyright restrictions as well.
                  Wiley

Comment

I'll step out on a limb here and say that I actually prefer plastic to paper for bread storage. For freezing, I use a large Ziploc. For counter storage (up to 4-5 days), I put the loaf in a plastic bag or Ziplock but leave the end open. This keeps the crust fairly crisp but prevents total dry-out. I find that paper results in an overly dry crumb. I imagine other methods work better in other parts of the country, though.

If the bread is already cut, I leave it upright on a cutting board and pull a bag over the top.
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

Here's a photo of the good old fashioned lunch bags I found. RiteAid for $.05 each. I had to explain to Carrie what a lunch bag was, so I guess this one didn't cross the Atlantic; at least not to Gloucester.

It just fit a big 2lb whole wheat loaf. Excellent.

For kicks, here is a photo of today's boules, proofing away.

We'll see how this goes.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I let my loaves cool thoroughly, then I slice them and put the slices in a ziplock bag in the freezer. I take out the pieces I need and either toast them or grill them....yum.

Sometimes I freeze a loaf whole in aluminum foil and then in plastic wrap. To freshen I heat it with the foil on in the oven for about 35 minutes.

Comment

A quick update.

I am very happy with my paper lunch bags. The bread is staying fresh across many days and we are working our way through it. I'm going to just keep baking.

A side benefit is that I made roast peppers last night, and the bags are perfect for steaming off the charred skins.

Thanks for the input on this one.
                          Happily,
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                            Here's a photo of the good old fashioned lunch bags...

I had to explain to Carrie what a lunch bag was...
                            This is an on-going problem I have because of a "generation gap" between me and my wife. Lunch bags and waxed paper seems to have not made it through the 1980s. No matter how much I repeat myself, she doesn't agree/comply.

Me :
                            Lunch (and "home-baked" bread) tastes better packaged in a brown lunch bag.
                            Bread stores better in a brown bag.
                            Sandwiches taste better if wrapped in waxed paper.

Her :
                            Lunch tastes better if the lunchbox has a "cool" character on it.
                            Bread comes from the store in a plastic bag... and that is how it is intended to be stored.
                            Sandwiches belong in zip-lock bags so they don't fall out.

p.s. I steam roasted peppers in plastic!

Comment

Working...
                            X