Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain a l'ancienne

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MoonshineBaker
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    re: ingredients
    What specific type of salt and yeast are people using in this recipe? 2 teaspoons of table salt weighs more than 2 teaspoons of Celtic sea salt; same with yeast. In Reinhart's Baker Apprentice book, everything is done by weight. Has anyone experimented to see if there a difference in flavor, texture or crumb with different types of ingredients?

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Mmmm,
    Great looking bread!

    G.

    Leave a comment:


  • BaconGrease
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    The culture survived by feeding every 2-4 days, straight up flour and sugars





    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchoven
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Grease
    You should repeat this and take a picture of the loaf sliced...
    How did you grow your culture?
    Inquiring minds would like to know I'm sure!
    Dutch

    Leave a comment:


  • BaconGrease
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    After nursing my yeast culture for the last 6 weeks or so I think it's finally coming around. I had to put this loaf back in the oven as it wasn't quite done, but as usual didn't get a true final pic. The taste is definitely on the sourdough range though. Also it took pretty much overnight to double in size.

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Jim,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Too late for bake number two, but I'm not giving up. The four loaves baked in the tray were definitely inferior to those baked directly on the hearth. The bread was really sweet and had big big holes, but once again, the oven cooled off to quickly. I think there's still H2O in the vermiculte insulation below the floor, perhaps wicking in from all the rain we've had lately...... My best guess anyway.

    I was kind of pissed off, so I refired the oven for an hour and did 3 loaves of ciabatta about 20 -30 minutes after cleaning the oven of coals. I burned the heck out of them. The oven was still hot enough 3 hours later to make my next load of firewood smoke, so moisture situation may be improving.

    I'll keep trying!

    G.

    Leave a comment:


  • CanuckJim
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    ED,

    The internal temp was too low. You should be looking for at least 205 F. You need a full bake with these, so don't be afraid to put them back on the hearth, near the door, once you've reached the right internal temp to set and color the crust a bit more. These breads have a creamy texture and the interior surface of the pockets is shiny and possibly tan in color. These are all good things that show the gluten has been properly developed.

    George,

    You'll find that the bottom crust develops more fully and differently if you bake directly on the hearth.

    Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • edschmidt
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Ive tried this recipie, as well as the no-kneed recipie, and both times came out with beautiful loaves. With that said I was a little put off by the crumb and was wondering if it wasnt right, or if it just wasnt what I am used to. I did have the large irregular air pockets, but the moisture level was very high. I would say that it was undercooked except the internal temp was 200deg. and it wasnt doughy. The first time I made the Pain the crumb was almost clear. Is this something that I need to get used to, or am I doing it wrong?

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Good information from all. Thanks for the lesson.

    I've got a perforated metal tray, shaped to hold three loaves. I got it at King Arthur Flour a few years back. I think I will try that for three of the loaves and a peel for three. We'll see what happens.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • CanuckJim
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Dutch, James, George,

    Inishta has it about as close as it gets for a phonetic pronunciation, though my French is rusty enough. I agree that at 550, these breads should take about 12 minutes. Use good steam at the beginning and vent halfway through. Dave, venting the steam produces a better and more caramelized crust, but this is a matter of experimentation and taste.

    I do bake them at higher temps, in the 650 to 700 range, where they take about 7 to 8 minutes. Conventional blade slashing does not work with such a wet dough, so, as Reinhart sort of recommends, I use kitchen shears held at a very shallow angle to snip triangles down the length. Sometimes works beautifully, sometimes not. I never use parchement paper for these loaves, but no particular reason beyond extra steps. Instead, using a fine meshed seive, I thoroughly but thinly coat the peel with brown rice flour. Like pizza, speed is an issue. These are rustic loaves, so I don't worry all that much about shaping. This is a very popular bread; far superior, in my opinion, to conventional baguette dough, so maybe a video clip is in order? It can be tricky to make and form, or at least it takes practice.

    Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 01-15-2008, 07:24 AM. Reason: error

    Leave a comment:


  • Inishta
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    Originally posted by gjbingham View Post

    How the heck to you pronounce the name of this bread? My French is lousy. Can anybody give me a phonetic pronunciation?


    George
    Pahn-ah-lawn-see-n ............................

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    How many folks use parchment in their WFO? I just wrestle with the wet dough using lots of flour and an aluminum peel -- though that may explain my odd-shaped loaves. Maybe we need a poll. Parchment or no?

    My guess is that a light baguette in a 550ºF oven will be ready in about 10 -12 minutes.

    We need photos to savour the moment. It's a great recipe.
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchoven
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    The pronounciation part has me confused as well...maybe there is a French speaker on the forum that could help...or Jim maybe!!!...
    I have used parchment in the WFO with good results...it chars and gets very fragile but you can do it...I have sent some of these really wet rustic loaves into the oven on pans and then when I vent the oven I remove the loaves from the pans and place them on the hearth...
    as far as the baking time...at 550 it should be in the 12 to 15 minute range...20 minutes at most
    Best
    Dutch

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    I have couple of questions on this one....

    I was going to bake this recipe from the Bread Baker's Apprentice today. The weather was un-Godly. I decided to put it off for a day and let the retarded dough sit in the 'fridge, as it's supposed to be clear tomorrow. So anyway, my questions:

    - How the heck to you pronounce the name of this bread? My French is lousy. Can anybody give me a phonetic pronunciation?

    - My recipe calls for parchment paper into the oven, rather than trying to move the loaves by hand (I presume). Do you recommend this in a WFO?

    - The recipe calls for turning the oven down in mid-bake from 500/550 to 400 (450?). How much time in a 500/550 degree oven do you recommend. (sorry Jim, if it's in your e-book. My wife's got the laptop with your recipes on it).

    Thanks in advance.
    George

    Leave a comment:


  • asudavew
    replied
    Re: Pain a l'ancienne

    I am new to this steam technique.

    When I cooked these loaves I misted water into the oven with a hand sprayer for about 10-12 seconds. Then I put the loaves in and shut the door.

    I had a therm probe stuck in one loaf and took them out when the internal temp hit 205f.

    I never vented the oven during cooking. The crust was crunchy on the outside and the bread moist and chewy on the inside.

    Am I using the right technique?

    BTW the oven was about 550f.

    Thanks

    Dave

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X