stuck loaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck loaves

I tried baking my first batch of ancienne last night- half went to making pizza, half went to loaves!

While my crust is lovely on top, the bottoms stuck to the oven floor. Not burned, just stuck. So I have some nice looking loaves on top with no bottom...

They taste pretty good, even without the bottom crust, but the crust is my favorite part!

The oven was on the hot side, but since they didn't burn, I'm not sure that was the problem. Could I have steamed wrong? If I'd let them stay in a little longer, would they have released?
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: stuck loaves

Elizabeth
    Hmmm? Could there have been something under them from when you made the pizza? I have not had that experience but then again I have not made much ancienne in the WFO...perhaps try using brown rice flour on your peel...it makes it really easy I think...
    Maybe someone else will chime in with a similar experience
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I'm with Dutch. Was there something there from before that might have stuck? Did you brush the cooking floor down before you added your bread?

Also, do you have a metal peel to get your loaves out of the oven?

This is new to me -- releasing cooked dough is something the wood ovens do naturally well.

Let us know what happens.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

What were the stuck crusts like once you removed them from the oven floor? Over or under done (or just right)?

My first thought was that maybe the floor wasn't quite hot enough... but what do I know.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I do have a metal peel. I used it to free the loaves. I couldn't get it under the edge, it was like they'd welded themselves to the floor. I do think I may have figured it out, though. I think my sprayer leaked on the floor when I used it the second time- if it dripped on the loaves instead of the floor (where it should have just evaporated, right?), it may have made glue when it got to the floor.
          I used the sprayer last night for something else, and it really dripped a lot around the head joint- practically a stream. It was dark when I put the loaves in, so I wouldn't have seen it leak. Especially with the steam pouring at me.

I was so mad at the crust which stayed on the floor I fished some coals out of the bucket I'd put them in and put them on top to burn it off. That'll teach it.

I'm going to get a new sprayer or fix this one and try again.

Is there an FB video for the proper spraying/steaming technique? If not, maybe that's up next?
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I think you got it...if the loaves got wet they would bery likely stick...very fine mist on the wand and try to spray it as far back in the oven as you can reach it..if your door has a good seal you probably will only need to steam it once...run the sprayer until the steam rolls out the door and then quickly shut it...
            That'll teach that pesky, sticky crust!!!
            Best
            Dutch
            Last edited by Dutchoven; 10-15-2008, 07:22 AM. Reason: fumble fingers!!!
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

My guess combination of the floor not being hot enough and dough too wet.

Comment

Check out our new bread video. We baked an 80% hydration (very wet) loaf, and don't have any sticking issues. I think it has more to do with the floor having something sticky on it.

Brush the floor really well, and then swab it with a damp rag before you load your bread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/video/ciabatta_primavera.mov

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X