The Village Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Village Baker

I started reading The Village Baker by Joe Ortiz this weekend. I'm enjoying the theory and technique, and there are nice hand drawn dough handling graphics.

I don't think I will ever use the formulas, as they are in cups and tablespoons, and I have become a hardened Baker's Percentage baker. Still, I like the book.

I have a 100gr poolish and the Hamelman 5-Grain loaf going today. Still no store bread.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: The Village Baker

One more quick note. I made the poolish and the whole grain soaker last night, while cleaning up after dinner. It really only takes about 60 seconds to measure and make both, which is lost in the clean up time -- and the longer pre-ferments and whole grains definitely improve the final result.

I just need to keep reminding myself to do it.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: The Village Baker

I don't think I will ever use the formulas, as they are in cups and tablespoons, and I have become a hardened Baker's Percentage baker.
      Could we start a movement to demand that every recipe, every package instruction, every food website provide measurements in grams, in addition to volume measurements? Maybe we could get the scale manufacturers to fund this viral movement.

How hard could this be? Aren't most of these things, at least on a corporate level, developed in test kitchens, most likely by weight, then converted to cups and teaspoons?
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X