Bread Cook-off Sunday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread Cook-off Sunday!

The wife and I decided to go head to head on a bread cook-off yesterday. She made her grandmothers bread recipe. 5# ap flour (gold medal), table salt, table sugar, IDY proofed in warm water & sugar, and olive oil.

I made 2 - 850g hearth breads and a dozen buns.

2000g Kyrol Hi gluten flour
    1260 g water
    16 g ADY
    25 g Sea salt
    20 g brown sugar
    20 g olive oil

I proofed the ADY with 100g warm water and 100 g of the flour and then mixed the balance of the flour & water for a 1/2 hour autolize.

I made 2 850g ciabatta's also
    1000 g Kaputo flour
    650 g water
    100 g milk
    7 g IDY
    15 g sea salt
    10 g olive oil

After we brought all the ingredients together into dough they bulk raised for 2 hours, punched down 1 hour bulk rise, punch down, form 1 hour final rise.

The results?

My wifes recipe calls for coating the tops with olive oil (she used Pam). This caused her tops to blacken a bit, much to her dismay. Next time we'll just spray some water on the tops.

I put the ciabatta's in first, while the oven was still a little hot. They rose nicely, but not as much as I would have liked. The flavor was fantastic.

The hearth breads, turned out the best. Nicely browned and crusty on top. Doubled in size from the oven spring.

The crumb of my wifes bread is extremely light and airy, I'd call it delicate. One of the issues I've always had with my wifes bread is that it is dry and crumbly, but very tasty. Mine on the other hand has a strong structure.

Upon asking my oldest daughter whose bread was better, she exclaimed, "Mom's bread is comfort food and light and airy, your bread is more dense. I like them both equally, but they're different."

So, who won? We all did. We ended up with 10 loaves and 12 buns of different and delicious bread. I can't wait for lunch.

It took about 2.5 hours from when I put the first load of bread in and pulled the last load out. I think I could have baked for another hour or so, but I need to be more efficient in staging the loads. Too much time in between. Each load took about 1/2 hour so I wasted about an hour of cooking time.

Re: Bread Cook-off Sunday!

That is so cool. What a fun way to spending a Sunday.

One thought. Rather than punching down your Ciabatta, fold it twice during bulk fermentation. The folds give it the structure to hold air holes and really puff. It only takes a moment to do.

Your staging comment makes a lot of sense. Have those loaves ready to go in as soon as the previous batch is done. You'll make a pro baker proud.

We need photos next time!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That is so cool. What a fun way to spending a Sunday.

One thought. Rather than punching down your Ciabatta, fold it twice during bulk fermentation. The folds give it the structure to hold air holes and really puff. It only takes a moment to do.

Your staging comment makes a lot of sense. Have those loaves ready to go in as soon as the previous batch is done. You'll make a pro baker proud.

We need photos next time!
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James - thanks for the comments. I did recall reading about the stretching and actually did do that with the ciabatta bread, but I may have over done it a little. Sorry about the lack of pic's, but I was at an event Friday nite watching the US gold medalist gymnasts with my wife & 2 gymnast daughters, so my camera is full. I will have a fresh card for the next bake-off. My wife & I decided that a nice loaf of bread in a basket with a linen will be our xmas gift to friends this year. This site has been a fantastic resource, as well as a great place to loaf, pun intended!

Comment

Working...
        X