Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final proofing Batard or oval

Stupid question time.

How do you proof an oval before baking? The boule holds its shape in a banneton, loaf pans for toasting bread, ciabattas just sit there, baguettes in baker's linen folds.... but what about an oval or batard?

Help!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Final proofing Batard or oval

I proof it in baker's linen. If your dough has good strength, it should hold its shape quite well.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Thanks. That's what I'll do. I am going to run a single slash right up the middle and see if I can get a big grigne in the middle of the loaf.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I found some linen lined oval bread baskets at Cost Plus that I use to make 4 pound oval loaves...Kind of oval at least...big fat loaves...
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks Drew,

I will take a look for those. How was Provence? Sorry I didn't have any restaurant leads, but I am guessing you ate pretty well. We need details...

Here is my five grain, whole wheat, sourdough loaf -- it's healthy, so hopefully it tastes good. This was cooling tonight, so we had the Vermont Sourdough with dinner tonight, and it's great the next day. Sourdough is so good at staying fresh.

We had vertical food (have you noticed how restaurants are stacking food these days?). Garlic mashed potatoes on the bottom; halibut on top of that; tomato cream sauce on top of that; and sauteed chantrelles on top of that. I think restaurants do it to cut back on serving size. The sourdough worked nicely.

My newest loaf is a chocolate brown, which I think has to do with the whole grains. My slash sprang forth, but I am thinking about how to get more spring.

I've started giving bread to the neighbors.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thats a great looking whole grain loaf. What's the recipe and how does it taste?

Comment

James,

I always use baker's linen for batard. However, there are oval banneton-like baskets you might want to check out. For more spring in the oven, you might want to push the temp envelope a bit, as well as hydration levels. With a WFO, it is quite possible to increase hydration by about five percent for better spring. Normally, I bake hearth breads at about 550 F on the floor. Don't forget that lots of steam during the first half of the bake will give the loaves the opportunity to reach maximum spring. Having said all that, however, the denser and heavier the grains used, the less the spring will be, no matter what.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim,

That makes sense -- as you say, the combination of whole grains and whole wheat has to be more dense. When you do bakers linen, so that support the side of the loaf, or does the dough hold itself up?

Brifro, this is the Hamelman multigrain sourdough recipe. I've had that cookbook on the counter for weeks -- it has spills and water marks all over it! I did starter build in the morning, so it took 36 hours, but it can be done in 18-24.

I'm eating it now for breakfast and it's very nice.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here is the crumb. It has flaxseed, wheat bran, cornmeal, sunflower seeds and oats.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                  X