mixed reviews, bitter bread, cheap cooking pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixed reviews, bitter bread, cheap cooking pots

I made the No Knead bread yesterday with mixed reviews. I used KA AP flour for one loaf and then made a wheat free loaf using Spelt. Both loaves cooked nicely and I could not be happier with the results except that both loaves had a bitter taste to them. Any ideas ? I am using sea salt and Red Star IDY. Not having a WFO yet, I cooked them for about 30 minutes @ 450 in the conventional oven.

I found the exact pans used in the NY Times article on No Knead bread at Macy's for about$60. Being conservative, thrifty and careful with my money ( also known as cheap) I found a different pot to use. I went to the thrift store and bought a couple of "crock pot" liners. These are glazed ceramic liners about 8 inches accross and 12 inches deep. I found a couple of pyrex lids that fit and bought a working set on two for $6. They worked great and I don't have to worry about accidently breaking them. If they break I will just go get more.
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Re: mixed reviews, bitter bread, cheap cooking pots

I don't know why the bread would be bitter. I make the no knead bread fairly often. (it's what I incinerated the other day, in fact) I do add a teaspoon of diastatic malt powder to my mix, but that shouldn't be it.

I usually use bread flour or a mix of bread and whole wheat. How old was the flour? Sometimes I've had older flour that had a funny taste to it. (I expect you go through it too fast for that, though) How long did you let it sit after it was mixed?

If it were the water you used, I'd think you'd have noticed it in other breads as well.

I'm stumped.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

How old was the flour?

The flour arrived at my house about a week ago.
      The Spelt, about 12 hrs

How long did you let it sit after it was mixed?
      19 hrs, then folded and let sit for 2 hrs.

If it were the water you used, I'd think you'd have noticed it in other breads as well.
      In the pacific northwest we have great water. I grew up in San Diego which has horrible water so I am always thankful I moved.

I also made Pita bread using the sample KA AP flour and it was fine. I am wondering if I picked up a flavor from my pastry cloth. This was the very first time I used it.

Comment

Well, maybe that was it.

By the way, brilliant idea on the crock pot innards for cooking the bread!
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Ok, I solved the problem. I used the same flour etc, but only let it sit for 10 hrs. No bitter flavor and the bread came out great. It must be a by-product of the yeast I am using.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
          X