Big sourdough spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big sourdough spring

This came as a big surprise. After quite a few attempts where I was struggling to get my sourdough to fully ferment, I had a really big oven spring tonight. I tried to make a nice, consistent slash pattern on my round loaf, and boom -- the loaf exploded. Now, I guess I have to come up with some better slashing to control that oven spring. It's a nice problem to have. :-)

I "built" the sourdough for 16 hours, and made my dough this morning. It was cool, so the loaf took all day to bulk ferment. I folded it twice, then shaped it, and proofed in banneton.

We had this, along with a day old baguette (no photo), and the girls ask for "the good bread" (the sourdough), which feels good.

Check out the big split.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Big sourdough spring

Great work James.
    It looks like you were a little heavy handed with your knife or blade to cause this eruption with this 'slash'. I need to rationalise with this term as it also slang down under meaning to go and have a leak!
    I'm starting to get into a little more serious bread making side using the Pompeii after I get the kitchen finished. I collect the cupboards tomorrow!
    I ordered 'The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves And Masonry Ovens" and will study it for better results.
    Can you give some details of this particular loaf for us peasants who aspire to achieve such results (over some time and troubles no doubt), eg recepie, time and temps when cooking.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

My bread often looks like that on top... er, shouldn't it?

You say it has something to do with slashing technique, so what are you going to do differently next time?
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I will eat any one of those loaves!
        --mr.jim
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
        unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Oh wow. Both Frances' and James' loaves are beautiful, even with "exploded tops". I'm definitely going to have to work on a starter for sourdough. Can you cold-ferment it at all, or does it have to be room temp?
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

James,

Nice job! I wouldn't do anything different. Wish I could get my to "explode" with all those tasty crispy bits on the crust!

Chuck

Comment

Way to go Frances,

Your loaves were shaped to spring in the middle -- and they look perfect! I was shooting for one of those patterns where the cross slashes were supposed to each puff out. I saw a photo on the Internet that I was trying to replicate. I'll see if I can find it again and show you.

This making good bread thing is challenging. :-)

I am definitely an amateur at this, but I will take a shot at making a sourdough video that we can all critique. I haven't been doing it for very long (after a multi-year break), and I feel as though I keep getting better at it.

James
              Last edited by james; 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I get that explosion on many of my loaves as well. I think it is a combination of shaping and docking technique...

Did that dough come straight from the fridge? I wonder if that may be part of the issue with mine...
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Drew,
                  You are having way too much fun. That is some very, very nice looking bread. Are you giving it away to neighbors?

I didn't not retard my bread in the fridge, and just timed it from a room temp final proof. I am going to use the refrigerator next time though.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

The way the loaf is docked definitely has an impact on the amount of oven spring/volume. Last weekend, I had three students here. Among other breads, we made four kilo sourdough-seed boule. The three docked by the students did not have nearly the spring as the one I slashed in a grigne. This turned out to be a good, instructional talking point. Not one of them cut deep enough for the flap to open completely, thereby reducing volume. I usually recommend a cut at least half an inch deep to get proper action. Wish I had taken a comparative photo before the bread left the building.

Jim
                    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I read that last post a couple times and I can't quite figger out what is "docked" and "grigne" mean. Any definitions?

Thanks - Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                        James,

The way the loaf is docked definitely has an impact on the amount of oven spring/volume. Last weekend, I had three students here. Among other breads, we made four kilo sourdough-seed boule. The three docked by the students did not have nearly the spring as the one I slashed in a grigne. This turned out to be a good, instructional talking point. Not one of them cut deep enough for the flap to open completely, thereby reducing volume. I usually recommend a cut at least half an inch deep to get proper action. Wish I had taken a comparative photo before the bread left the building.

Jim
                        Jim,

That makes a lot of sense. I think I will start making two loaves at a time to compare various methods. That should be a good way of learning.

Can you over-dock? The other day my first cross pattern boule did not spring as much as the star pattern using the same dough. Was that because my loaf was not as "active" as it should have been, or was it my docking?

Interesting.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Chucker,

Docking is slashing, or cuttuing with a razor blade. The grigne is that nice lip the loaf develops on the slash.

Have fun,
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Without looking over your shoulder, that's a tough call. In my experience, the flap or grin or grigne traditional cut yields the best volume. Pound signs, stars, crosses give interesting patterns, but they do not open as fully, because the cuts are straight down. Sure, I guess it's possible to overdock, though I've never seen it done. With the grigne slash, just make sure the blade is held parallel to the side of the loaf; don't cut down, don't cut up, cut in, at about a third the way down from the top of the loaf. It's best to use a curved blade for the grigne. You only use the tip of the blade. Make sure the heel of it does not drag, or you'll get a ragged cut. Just introduce the tip of the blade and pull, don't saw.

Jim
                            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Who would have known! Well, I did guess correctly for "docking", but would never have guessed that the little lip thingie actually had a real name. Who comes up with this stuff?
                              Its like those little hard things on the ends of shoelaces have a name, but I can't remember what it is.
                              REAL QUESTION: So, buying that curved blade is definately better than my razor blade stored on top of the kitchen window trim??
                              Thanks - Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X