Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adventures in sourdough or how to nearly kill your bread without actually doing it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adventures in sourdough or how to nearly kill your bread without actually doing i

Today's effort:

I put it in the fridge last night already shaped. I think I may prefer doing it in the batch, and shaping in the morning, though. Partly because then I don't have to rearrange the refrigerator! There's a lot of dh's beer in there. Also, I didn't like the skin I got on the loaves- I sprayed them with oil and covered them, but they still skinned up.

I am pleased with the color I got (well, everywhere on top, that is!) and the oven spring. I don't know if you can see it, but the, um, "overcaramelised" loaf has a distinct imprint from the oven floor- and evidently only ONE brick was nuclear hot. I don't understand this at all. I do have a little too much color on a couple of the other loaves, but they're not bad at all.

I don't know what they look like inside yet.

I've been making a sort of no-knead recipe with a lot of starter. I think I like it better than the one I do in the mixer, but then, I like my bread a bit on the holey side. The mixer kneaded recipe turns out a more even crumb.

Still working on oven management. I think I didn't allow enough time after swabbing the floor for it to even out. Maybe someone at home will surprise me with an IR thermometer for Christmas and I won't have to guess! T'would be nice. I might be able to identify the nuclear brick, too.

The question of the day is: how do you decide how to load the oven? I'm still not able to do what I would think is an efficient job of it. Maybe I need to practice with my finished loaves and the peel in the cooled off oven? I don't seem to be able to get them aimed right! I never have trouble jerking pizza off the peel in the right spot, but loaves are another matter.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Re: adventures in sourdough or how to nearly kill your bread without actually doing i

Elizabeth,

My jeans are getting tight, how 'bout yours? Nothing like a high carb diet.

Karen

Comment

Here is my contribution for the day. Elizabeth, your bread has great color (the high carbon part aside). I really like the orange-ish carmelization.

Eat bread and run every day. :-) I run to eat.

Two little updates from me. I haven't bought bread for weeks, and I just got my first Brotform. The wicker banneton that gives the great finish on your loaves. We'll see how that goes.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Nice loaf, James!

My jeans are still ok- but I'm using the elliptical, riding 3+ times a week and cleaning 3 stalls 5+ times a week. I recommend manual labor in the jeans-loosening department!

I will never give up bread for my jean size- so I just work harder. I work to eat too!
          Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by Pannabecker View Post
            I would love to watch you pros do it. What are the benefits of a drier dough vs a wetter dough and vice versa? Thanks for your input.
            I am definitely not a pro, but I know that a wetter dough makes it easier for your bread to develop those nice holes that we all like so much. It's a little more difficult to develop the gluten structure you need with a really wet dough, but I can say that for me, learning to make and work with wetter doughs has been a big step forward.

My Pizza Bianca formula is 90% hydration (OK, it's batter), but the holes are incredible and the crumb is moist and it has real structure.

I know it changes everything, but think about using a scale and baking by weight. I even weigh the flour and water every time I feed my starter.

Enjoy!
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I weigh everything too. It took me a while to accept using a calculator to BAKE, but with the baker's percentage stuff, I have to! I've done a lot of baking by feel, but I get more consistent results, especially with the wet doughs, by weighing.

I have asked for a brotform too. The bowls with towels work ok, but it would be nice not to have to wash all those floury towels every time. The pattern on the bread from a brotform is really lovely.
              Elizabeth

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,
                "overcaramelised" loaf has a distinct imprint from the oven floor- and evidently only ONE brick was nuclear hot.
                This could be a high temp firebrick (which would weigh considerably more than the other low fired variety) which should be relatively easy to lift out and replace, if you haven't mortared them down.
                Keep your eyes open for the culprit. Have you noticed it on previous bahes?
                It is highly unlikely that it got so much hotter than the adjoining bricks as the demarcation line is really quite distinct.
                I have some sourdough bread underway and hoping to cook it in around 24 hours so will keep you all posted.
                Hopefully it won't be too much of a disaster.
                Tim dropped around last night to weld up his vent and he gave me some of his leaven starter.
                I will feed his and keep it in the fridge until I get this bread making system going.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Here is my first loaf with my new Brotform; this is a multi-grain sourdough boule. The Brotform definitely works -- but I'm not sure why I ended up making an oval loaf from a round form? :-)

Maybe it's because I'm left-handed. Anyway, I would highly recommend my new banneton.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    I'm not sure why I ended up making an oval loaf from a round form? :-)
                    That's what happens when all the slashes are parallel. I know this because I often shape my bread round and put one deep slash across the top. The finished bread is always oval. I think its really interesting to see how the slashes can change the bread's shape.
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Neill, I don't think I have any high duty bricks. They were all about the same weight when I put them in. I think maybe that one was just where the bulk of the fire was, and it hadn't all spread evenly yet. I do have a general idea where it was, so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

James, that's a really pretty loaf! Doesn't matter if it's round or oval- it's got great color. Are you doing most of your baking in the Primavera? I think I'm going to recomend one to my brother who lives near DC. It would be a great size for him.

Tomorrow is my husband's family birthday party- I'm going to break out the caputo flour for the first time and we're having pizza! In the freezing cold! It's what he wants... so he gets it.
                      Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
                      X