Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Bread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dutchoven
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    Originally posted by james View Post
    Very nice! :-)

    Is that a yeast dough? It has great color.
    James
    Thanks James
    It is made with a 48 hour prefermented biga using commercial yeast...then a bit of yeast in the finished product...it gets a little sugar, malt powder and EVOO...so a great confluence of ingredients yields great color , texture and flavor...
    Best
    Dutch

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    Very nice! :-)

    Is that a yeast dough? It has great color.
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchoven
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    Christmas party for my wife's swim team tonight...baked a few loaves(5-1kg) of our most popular Italian...due to the weather it was baked in the our kitchen oven...thought I would post a pic
    All the best!
    Dutch

    Leave a comment:


  • egalecki
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    I'm baking tomorrow. I have a Pain Poilane (well, three, because I wasn't going to bake one that big!) retarding in the fridge. I also have an 85% whole wheat recipe retarding- it's been interesting. I found the percentages on a website for sourdough. It increases the starter twice- first time is quite small, second is larger (nearly 300G). Any ideas why they'd do it this way? The final dough is about 65% hydration. Lovely smooth dough, quite workable in spite of the moisture.

    I hope at least one of them turns out as well as your loaf today! I'm using the KA white whole wheat for the first time. Much smaller particles than I'm used to!

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    Thanks Dutch,
    That means a lot to me -- I'm going to tell my wife. :-)
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchoven
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    James
    Looks very good to me! Excellent color, nice crust depth, loose crumb...quite top notch I would say. Quite like what a WW miche should look like. When you have a wet dough and dock the dough in that "pound sign" it tends to spread out at the sides. Always ends up seeming like a wider loaf than when you started. Just remember the cover of Reinhart"s BBA!!!
    Best
    Dutch

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    Originally posted by Jed View Post
    Practice, practice, and just a little bit more - practice at making the prefect loaf of bread...
    JED
    Exactly! It's fun, and you get to eat it.
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Jed
    replied
    Re: Today's Bread

    James,

    Another good looking loaf!

    Practice, practice, and just a little bit more - practice at making the prefect loaf of bread... and they all are, the perfect loaf of bread..

    JED

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    started a topic Today's Bread

    Today's Bread

    This one is 50% KA GP and 50% KA White Whole Wheat. It's light and easy. I forgot to leave my starter out overnight, so I mixed the dough in the morning and gave it all day to rise, and then baked it right before going to bed.

    It didn't have that crazy oven spring -- I would say that the loaf was well-proofed (almost overproofed) and it came down a little with the slash.

    I have run out of rye flour, which is a really nice addition to everyday sourdough -- I have to get back to Whole Foods and pick some up.

    Enjoy your day!
    James
    Last edited by james; 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM.
Working...
X