Spiral loaf redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral loaf redux

Here is a follow up loaf to my first spiral attempt. This is a heavier loaf with 20% KA GP, 40% KA White whole wheat and 40% whole wheat. Still no rye in the house (darn). 70% hydration.

I bulk fermented the bread during the day, then shaped and proofed the loaf overnight. This time I get it 4 hours to warm up before baking. It started proofing again, and not so much that it over-proofed. It was still firm enough for the spiral flash pattern.

And it didn't explode! I'm eating it right now and the whole wheat has a nice nutty flavor, the crust is crunchy but not overly dense (it doesn't scrape off the roof of your mouth) and the crumb is moist and light enough.

Fun, fun.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Spiral loaf redux

I guess I have another question. After shaping the final loaf for a bread that is going to be retarted overnight -- do you give it some time to proof, or do you put it straight into the refrigerator right after forming the loaf. I have knocked much of the air out of the dough and used CannuckJim's boule shaping method, so the loaf is pretty dense at that point.

To proof or not to proof.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Spiral loaf redux

James,

After shaping and putting the rounds into baskets, I always transfer them immediately to the fridge. I suspect the density of the bread has more to do with the whole flour proportions you're using, rather than the shaping and proofing methods. Tons of variables to consider, but only change one at a time. What is the temperature of the finished dough in the mixer?

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
      X