The only loaf of bread I've made I just don't like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only loaf of bread I've made I just don't like

I made the Rye Sandwich Meteil out of Whole Grain Breads. I just don't like it. It looks like the picture in the book- same texture and color, I just think it tastes awful. Now I'm wondering if it's the recipe or if it's something I noticed when I was mixing it up.

This bread uses a soaker of the whole wheat flour, salt, milk and gluten (if you're using it, and I did). If you're using it within 24 hours, you are supposed to refrigerate it. Well, I used it within 24 hours, so I didn't put it in the fridge, but I did notice that after 20 hours, it seemed as if it had developed air pockets. Sort of like it had risen, almost. Most soakers just feel like wet flour, this one got spongy.

I had it in a clean bowl, with a tight lid. No cross-contamination with my starter that I was aware of. I'm wondering if either natural yeast got in or if it was bacterial. I didn't notice a smell at that time, but I did think the bread smelled odd both as it was bulk rising and as it was baking.

So, so I have to make it again to see if it was a "one-off" weird loaf, or do I just prefer my rye without molasses, honey, and onion?

No joke, I threw the whole loaf out. I've NEVER had to do that with any bread, unless it was incinerated. I couldn't even swallow the piece I bit off. I can't even describe the flavor- bitter, sourish (ordinarily not a problem for me) and a flavor underlying the whole thing I can't pin down. NOT umami, though!
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: The only loaf of bread I've made I just don't like

That's a bummer Elizabeth!
    Sometimes things just don't work out as one would like.
    I got my "Bread" book by Hamelman yesterday and eagerly reading it to get into this bread baking.
    I guess that I will have the occasional (and I hope it is only occasional as my other half will surely let me know) disaster, but put it down too experience, turn over another page and go again.

Cheers,

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post

So, so I have to make it again to see if it was a "one-off" weird loaf, or do I just prefer my rye without molasses, honey, and onion?
      Oh dear! No, don't do it again, there are so many recipes to try out. Maybe you can come back to it when you've chalked up more experience...

The only thing I can think of in this context is a version of Bircherm?sli I tried a couple of years ago, where you were supposed to soak the oats for a day before using them, and I found it made them bitter.

Never mind, better luck next time.
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I was hoping you'd say that... I really didn't want to have to throw away another loaf. I'm making more oat bran broom bread tomorrow- my husband has a real liking for it and has been using it for sandwiches at an alarming rate! I just can't get him to like my beloved rye bread... which does leave more for me, I admit, but that's not always a good thing! (but just imagine if it was something like meringues or cookies or pudding...that would be much worse)
        Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
          ...If you're using it within 24 hours, you are supposed to refrigerate it. Well, I used it within 24 hours, so I didn't put it in the fridge, ...
          Is there a 'not' missing from this sentence somewhere? I suspect so but if not this might be part of your problem...

Originally posted by egalecki
          I had it in a clean bowl, with a tight lid. No cross-contamination with my starter that I was aware of. I'm wondering if either natural yeast got in or if it was bacterial. I didn't notice a smell at that time, but I did think the bread smelled odd both as it was bulk rising and as it was baking.
          Always listen to the nose. Bad smells are usually warning signs (which begs the question of how desperate the first person to bake sourdough was, I know).

So, so I have to make it again to see if it was a "one-off" weird loaf, ...
          How badly did you want to try it in the first place?

or do I just prefer my rye without molasses, honey, and onion?
          I was feeling for you up to this point - you have to ask?! Two strong savories with two strong sweets and you're wondering what's wrong with the flavor?!?!

Are you in the SCA or something? Seriously, that recipe sounds suspiciously medieval. Like something a lunatic after her Grand Chef might try...*

No joke, I threw the whole loaf out. I've NEVER had to do that with any bread, unless it was incinerated. I couldn't even swallow the piece I bit off. I can't even describe the flavor- bitter, sourish (ordinarily not a problem for me) and a flavor underlying the whole thing I can't pin down. NOT umami, though!
          I'm more impressed that you had the courage to try it at all...

*If you don't have a clue what that means don't worry - we just don't share the same weird hobby. If you do know what it means you should get the joke - unless you're a Laurel with a Grand Chef and no sense of humor...

The recipe really does sound medieval, though.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Elizabeth and all
            Our experience with rye sours is that well...they are sour...many of the breads made with a rye sour will usually taste nothing like anything else you have had...there are many recipes that use them though and many of them are very good...there is a dutch bread called "roggebrood" that uses a rye sour and whole rye berries that have been soaked overnight...rather sour and very dense but is great with danish butter and cheese...especially when the bread is cold...also the german bavarian pumpernickel uses many of those ingredients as well...funny that there is no cornmeal as a meteil should usually have it also
            I'll have to check it out a bit deeper
            Best
            Dutch
            P.S. Definitely try some other formulas and maybe come back to this one at a later time!
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch- I really like the one I've been making that works out to about 49% rye. It gets a preferment overnight with the rye, sourdough starter, seeds and some of the white and the rest of the white flour goes in the next day. It's a nice sour- not like this other one at all. As with all sourdough, it keeps getting more sour as it ages, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I like it even better as it gets sharper! There's no corn meal in that recipe either, though. Also no honey, molasses or onion.

I think this recipe just isn't for me... And Archena, you're right, I'm missing a "not" in that sentence!
              Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
              X