Heavy crusted bread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy crusted bread.

I have made several batches of Pagnotta bread with a Biga. The bread turns out good tasting but I cannot seem to get a good thick crust. I have been steaming the oven, etc. but the crust always seems to come out chewy and we like a thick hard crust. Can anyone make a suggestion on what technique to try. I am cooking in a WFO.
    Thanks

Re: Heavy crusted bread.

Erasmo
    If you want a snappier crust you have to finish the loaves in a drier oven...steaming is good but you will have to vent it about half way through the bake time or even earlier. I would suggest you do everything as you have been except, half way through just tilt your door out on the oven to vent the steam. I think you will get what you are looking for, if you want it deeper and harder then the next time vent a minute sooner.
    Hope this helps!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

You're right on as usual about the steaming and venting. If I want a thicker crust, I vent halfway through as you do, but I also push the loaves toward the back wall for the last few minutes of the bake. It's always hottest there with my oven.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks
        I will try your suggestions.

Comment

I have also found that it is easier to get nice thick, crunchy crust with sourdough recipes.

Let us know how it goes.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have yet to try a sourdough. This might be a good time to make my first attempt.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X