SF Baking Institute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Baking Institute

I bought a new linen lined banneton, an oval coiled banneton and a new lame with razor blades from the San Francisco Baking Institute and everything arrived promptly today. If you are looking for bread supplies, they do a good job.

Baking Supplies|Baking Baskets and Supplies|Basket|Wicker Baskets |Plastic Baskets|Linen Liners|Proofing Boards|Wood Peel

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: SF Baking Institute

I've bought from them in the past, and used their products. They are the best. A great organization to support!

Comment

I have used TMB Baking , but I think they are acutally the same place...they have the same address. Reasonable prices and great equipment. I bought my SP-5 Mixer there as well as some linen and bannetons...
      Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

They are the same.

Comment

I have used their wicker baskets for about three years and they are wonderful! They give the loaf a disctinctive look and are durable and should last years. The lame works well also - better than others I have tried. I have some linen lined baskets from them as well but I don't use them often.

They sell both round and elongated wicker baskets. I use both but personally prefer the round for most purposes. I tend to use the elongated, oval ones for breads with nuts, olives, etc.

Good folks and well worth supporting IMO.

Comment

So, related to SFBI... I just had a birthday and asked my wife to get me the new Michel Suas book.

What an excellent resource: science, technology, technique, and recipes of bread, pastry, cake, cookies, sugarcraft, plated-dessert, and chocolate. A huge tome that I've just begun to appreciate... only because I've only just had the opportunity to flip pages rather than read. At sixty-dollars it ain't cheap, but it appear to be the equivelent of a textbook for an entire masters degree, if not PhD, in baking.

Just thought you'd be interested!

Comment

I checked that out from the library. It was not particularly useful to check out from the library because there is so much info in it, I did not have time to absorb any of it!!
              May have to make it part of my permanent collection.
              Amazon.com: Advanced Bread and Pastry: Michel Suas: Books
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

The more I look at this book, the more I realize I can now thin out my 100+ volume collection of cookbooks!

Comment

I'm falling behind. I still refer to Hamelman at least 3-4 times a week, I have only skimmed the new Reinhart whole grains book (yes, I am probably messing up a whole grain loaf with flax seeds as I write this), and now I can see that I need Suas. Help!

Plus, my birthday has passed. Maybe I can ask for it for Father's Day.

Does anyone make a good croissant at home?

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    Does anyone make a good croissant at home?

James
                    We do quite well, I think! What do you need to know?
                    Dutch
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Mine always taste too much like dinner rolls. I can't get the texture right -- all those flaky layers.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Mille-feuille or a "thousand leaves" as the French would say...first time I tried it was the same result...my wife however hit the nail right on the head when she made them....you have to keep it very cold and not work it for very long on the table...
                        Best
                        Dutch
                        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                        X