Focaccia bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focaccia bread

fired up the oven and tried baking che bello ok I'm trying this new link Picasa Web Albums - Philip - focaccia brea...
    Last edited by MAVANO; 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM.

Re: Focaccia bread

Looks great! How'd it taste?
    Where is the recipe?
    Rick
    View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Well thats my wife's reciepe, will post it when she write it down for me ,she does it all by eye she weighs the flour but never the water only feels for consistancy of mix

Comment

I have been making a traditional slightly thicker Genovese focaccia for the past few weeks, experimenting with the formula and technique and I seem to be settling into something I like. This is different that than Pizza Bianco recipe from Chefs Illustrated (90% hydration, thinner and more crunch) and it is thicker and softer than the Tuscan schiaciatta. But it isn't a boring, soft white bread that tries to pass as Focaccia Genovese.

400gr water (cool, not warm)
        500gr KA GP flour
        10gr salt
        4-5gr yeast
        3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil (but none in the dough).

Mix the dough on low for 2 minutes to just mix all of the ingredients, then knead on high for 8 minutes. I've been standing and watching the dough mix, and it's interesting to watch it move from sticky batter to forming a real dough ball at about minute 5. It's important to mix it long and fast to develop the gluten it need for structure and to make the holes and the nice crust. I've tried to rush it, and it just doesn't work. Use cool water so the dough won't overheat.

Let it rise for 90 minutes of to double.

Push it down and spread it out on a well-oiled baking sheet. The dough is well hydrated, but because you kneaded it to make a dough ball, you can work with it. Use olive oil on your hands to keep it from sticking.

Let it rise back up for 20 minutes, then push finger holes into it, and coat the top with olive oil.

Bake at 425?F until golden (or even middle) brown. You should get a lot of orange in the color.

Pull the focaccia out, and drizzle top quality olive oil over the top. It should be over 1" thick. Crunchy crust, with a light, holey and delicate crumb.

I will post photos later.

Let me know how this works for you.
        James
        Last edited by james; 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, do you cook it in the WFO with or without the baking sheet? And what kind of flour is KA? I get that GP=General Purpose.
          Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

KA GP= King Arthur General Purpose.

We need to start a thread that defines all the acronyms we throw around.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

BN,

You can TRY to slide it out of the baking sheet if you line it with parchment paper first, then directly onto the brick, paper and all. However, I've found that this is way too risky with a high hydration formula. Just leave it on the sheet; it will bake just fine.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have never made my focaccia in the WFO but as runny as mine is I sure wouldn't trust it. It would probably make a cracker the size of my oven - and then I wouldn't be able to get it out through the door without breaking it into pieces!

Somehow that conjures up a humorous vision for me but I don't think I want to experience it first hand!

Besides, an important facet of focaccia is the oil it absorbs and fries in in the pan! It would lose that great fried bread crust! And that would be SAD!

Jay
                Last edited by texassourdough; 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texassourdough View Post
                  I have never made my focaccia in the WFO but as runny as mine is I sure wouldn't trust it. It would probably make a cracker the size of my oven - and then I wouldn't be able to get it out through the door without breaking it into pieces!

Jay
                  That gave me quite a good laugh Jay. Thanks!
                  Dutch
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                  X