Focaccia with TJ's GP flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focaccia with TJ's GP flour

I just mixed a 500gr batch of 80% focaccia dough, and I can report that the Trader Joe's general purpose white flour seems nice, and it did a better job of absorbing water and making a dough ball at high hydration than the KA GP that I've been using.

That makes me think it might be just a touch stronger. We'll see how the final product comes out, but I thought this was interesting.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Focaccia with TJ's GP flour

Originally posted by james View Post
    That makes me think it might be just a touch stronger.
    What does the label indicate? KA GP is 11.7% IIRC.

I can't wait to hear your test results!

Comment

The label doesn't say anything -- and TJ's didn't answer my email. :-(

That said, the dough was nice and the focaccia came out really well. It had a nice sheen, and the extensibility was good. The crunch and taste were fine. I guess I'll be a good TJ's customer and keep buying what is convenient; and really, the flour seems good.

I'm going to keep researching the flour and try to find out who is doing the private label milling. Who knows, maybe it's still KA.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
        The label doesn't say anything -- and TJ's didn't answer my email. :-(
        I almost sent them an email to ask. Thanks for saving me the time!

I thought that they had to put the analysis on the label -- some sort of law?? If it is there, take the protein weight and divide by the total test sample weight. Then multiply by 100 and round to a reasonable number of decimal digits... like 1

My wife is going to TJs in just a few minutes. I'm tempted to ask her to buy me as much KA AP as she can find... but now I think I might just ask for a bag of TJ AP to play with. Tough decision, eh?

p.s. No matter what it sounds like you just proved that the TJ AP might be a promising flour. Thanks!
        Last edited by BrianShaw; 04-04-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X