bread for Les

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bread for Les

This is for Les, I couldn't figure out how to send him a picture in a PM! Sorry to all the rest of you, but if you like to bake, you can follow along...

Well, I made the bread- I can't figure out the BP on it because of the way she makes the sponge- since you don't use it all, there's an unknown amount of flour and water you don't use. And I'm NOT a math whiz...Anyway:

I used 24 oz of water and 15 oz of flour to 2 oz of starter- which in weighed amounts is her 3c water, 3 c flour and 1/4c starter. This morning I measured out 2 1/2 c (I just used the measuring cups, since I wasn't sure what it should weigh) of the sponge and added 12.5 oz of flour. I used the mixer and the dough hook- autolyzed it for 30 minutes, added the salt (2 tsp) and mixed it a little more- maybe 2 minutes. It was a really sticky dough, but I think the reason you haven't had good holes is because she tells you to add flour until you get a workable dough- if you stop at 12.5 oz and scrape it into an oiled bowl, you can fold it twice at about 45 minute intervals and get a workable dough then. That's what I did. Then I turned it out onto a floured surface, divided it in two, flattened them a bit and folded them sort of letter-style, placing them on parchment paper to rise. I covered them up so they didn't dry out (I use a big plastic bag), let them rise for another hour and baked them until they hit 205 in the center- it was probably 15-20 minutes.

I did have to bake inside today, it was raining, but I used my unglazed tiles in the reg. oven with a pan in the bottom for steam, cranked it up to 500, loaded the bread, steamed twice at 1 minute intervals and left it for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes I put in my temperature probe and just let it go until it was 205 inside. I got pretty good color and what I think are pretty good holes. That's Wilson's hand there in the picture...

If you can't follow me at all, I'm sorry- I'm in sort of a hurry to get to my daughter's first college soccer scrimmage...
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: bread for Les

Thanks Elizabeth, I will try your way the next time I fire the oven. It's easier to go by weight. BTW, your bread looks great. Mine did not have nearly the holes you are showing.

Thanks!!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
    X