Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Portrugese Rolls***

Hi All,
    I seem to be posting a lot lately, I get my lunch from the Hackensack Farmers market in NJ, They have a great deli... They make sandwiches on Portrugese Rolls, They are Incredible, Does anyone have a recipe for this by any chance ? I know I could look it up on the web, But its better to know when someone has tried something already.... Thanks for all the help

Mark

Re: ***Portrugese Rolls***

Are they just roll versions of Portuguese sweet bread/Hawaiian egg bread? I have a good recipe, if so.
    Nikki

Comment

Hi Nikki,

Im not sure,, But I would love the recipe and would enjoy trying it either way,, and promise to let you know how it turns out "deal"

Mark

Comment

Portuguese Sweet Bread (aka Hawaiian Egg Bread)

Portuguese settlers brought the recipe to Hawaii in the late 1800s, and it's been adopted by the island as its own, hence the double name from very different geographic regions.

2/3 c water
        1/4 c instant mashed potato flakes
        2/3 c sugar
        1/4 c instant nonfat dry milk
        1/2 c butter, cut into pieces
        2 packages active dry yeast
        1/3 c warm water, about 110 degrees
        approximately 5 cups AP flour
        4 large eggs
        1 t salt
        1/2 t vanilla
        1/4 t lemon extract
        sugar for topping (optional)

Bring the 2/3 cup water to a boil and beat in potato flakes. Stir in the 2/3 cup sugar, dry milk, and butter. Let cool to 110 degrees (butter doesn't need to melt completely).

Bloom yeast over the 1/3 cup of warm water. stir in potato mixture. Add 2 cups of flour and beat with a mixer on low speed or with a heavy spoon until blended. Beat in three of the eggs, salt, vanilla, and lemon extract until blended.

Stir in 2 more cups of flour

to knead by hand, turn out the dough and knead until smooth, between 5 and 20 minutes. Add more flour as needed. Put in a greased bowl to rise.

To knead with a dough hook, add 3/4 cups more flour and beat on low until combined. Then beat on high until dough is springy and not sticky, about 5 minutes. Add more flour, a few T at a time, if necessary.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.

Punch dough down and knead briefly to release air. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Cut dough in half, shape each half in a ball, and place each portion in a greased pie tin. Gently flatten them into a smooth 8 inch round. Cover lightly and let rises until doubled, about 35 to 45 minutes.

Beat egg and brush over loaves, sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 350 until browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on racks.

I've used real mashed potatoes for the instant (though since I despise potatoes, I don't usually have mashed around and more often use the instant). I typically use a little lemon zest instead of the lemon extract. And I've used regular milk and decreased the water appropriately in the past. I never sprinkle with extra sugar. It's absolutely delicious!
        Last edited by Modthyrth; 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM.
        Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Hi All,
          I seem to be posting a lot lately, I get my lunch from the Hackensack Farmers market in NJ, They have a great deli... They make sandwiches on Portrugese Rolls, They are Incredible, Does anyone have a recipe for this by any chance ? I know I could look it up on the web, But its better to know when someone has tried something already.... Thanks for all the help

Mark
          Geez, Hackensack Farmer's Market...hadn't heard that in years...I still have family in Bergen Cty...anyway...tell me more about how they look...not necessarily a sweet bread type recipe...there is something called "papo secos"...my dad worked on a tugboat with a Portugese cook and he talked about those...kind of squished down the middle and dusted with flour? I think I can help but just need more info
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hi Dutch,

Your exactly right, squished and dusted,, Elongated with a soft crust and what I would call firm bite.... not tough,,,,When I go to work on monday will get some ant take a few pics... They are right acrosss the street from me.
            Thanks Mark

Comment

OK Mark! Been out of touch a bit lately and finally got back to this thread. I have a formula for you in volume measurement, as that is the way my Dad's friend gave it to him. They are called "papos secos." We did not use the lukewarm water as cool room temperature works well and added all the sugar to the dry ingredients. We also allowed a short proof, about 25 minutes so a total of about 30 minutes after shaping before basting and baking.
              Good luck!
              Dutch

Papo Secos
              10 cups flour (more or less)
              1 tablespoon salt
              2 packages active dry yeast
              1 tablespoon sugar
              1/4 cup margarine
              3 1/2-4 cups lukewarm water
              1 1/2 teaspoons shortening

Ingredients:
              Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water with 1/2 tsp sugar added, let stand for 5 minutes or until doubled in size.
              Place in large bowl, add enough flour to make a batter, cover with a cloth and blanket, and let stand until it forms bubbles and looks lumpy.
              Add remaining ingredients, mix well and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth.
              Add more flour if dough is too soft.
              Cover with the cloth and blanket and let stand in warm place until doubled in size.
              On floured board, using about 1/3 cup dough for each roll, shape into round balls.
              Let shaped rolls rest on a cloth.
              After all rolls are shaped, beginning with first shaped rolls, flatten each with palm of hand, making an indent in the middle with the side of your hand, and fold in half.
              Lay each on a cloth with open side down.
              Let rolls rest for 5 minutes.
              Place rolls on baking sheet with open side up, and brush with milk.
              Bake in preheated 500F oven for 10-15 minutes
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks for the recipe Dutch,

Hoping to gve it a shot this weekend,, but Im hoping to go fishing Hopefully I'll get a day for each

Mark

Comment

Mark
                  Did you get a chance to make these? I was wndering how it went for you.
                  Best
                  Dutch

Comment

hey dutch,
                    Ran out of time this weekend.. Did a turkey test drive of the oven and had 8 people over for a mini thanksgiving,
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...html#post67391
                    but I will get there,,
                    Thanks for asking.... Im still looking forward to them... Nothing like goood bread
                    Cheers Mark

Comment

Hey Dutch,,
                      Finally got to making the portugese rolls... your recipe was great,,, I just finished my 2nd roll and they are fantastic.... going to the store in a few to get some prosciutto and will make some fresh mozzarella when i get back... thanks for the recipe

Mark
                      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Mark
                        Good job! Those look great! I have often wondered if you had gotten to make them...I have been really out of touch with the forum since our restaurant opened. Just finished a long day there now. Going to have my second beer in a moment.
                        All the best!
                        Dutch

Comment

Working...
                        X