Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peels for bread. Long handled.

Hello once again,
    I do both bread and pizza in my 42" oven. I am looking for a peel specifically for bread that is long handled (60" or so), with a wider and longer head (is that what it's called) and squared off rather than rounded. I like to make baguettes 18" - 24" and to fit at least four on the peel at once. Looking on the Internet all I can find are short handled, 12" or so rounded heads. I've seen pictures of what I'm looking for so I know I'm not making this up. I would be willing to make one too.

So, any ideas as to where I might buy one, and any ideas as to what wood peels are generally made of?

Thanks,
    Kim

Re: peels for bread. Long handled.

You might find what you are looking for here. Thought about it myself ...

fbmbakingmachines.com

Pdiff

Comment

Thanks. I looked at items #32100028 (peel board) and #32100023 (handle) and it appears to be what I'm talking about. I just emailed them seconds ago to make sure. Good find. Thanks.
      Kim

Comment

I haven't ordered from them, but they were recommended in the resource list of Maggie Glezer's Artisan Baking book. Been thinking about getting some real couches ...

Comment

Though I can't find exactly what I want on this site, Wholesale Restaurant Supply they do have items which might interest others here. Well worth the look.

Comment

Originally posted by kimemerson View Post

... any ideas as to what wood peels are generally made of?
            wood!

-jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Well that clears things up. Thanks.

Comment

I made my own:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...peel-2829.html
                Been working like a charm...

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

You might consider simply using a modified wide board, pine or whatever. Here is a poor quality photo of a simple answer to your question. Sorry for the quality, the photo was taken in 1977 with a Kodak 110 camera. The location was Hiva Oa in the Marquesas Islands and the WFO was one reputed to have been rebuilt by Paul Gauguin. The bread output from this oven fed the village of Atuona.

Bests,
                  Wiley
                  Last edited by Wiley; 12-07-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

If wiley was messing around with brick ovens in 1977, I think he gets the prize for obsession longevity.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun, not obsession, for me back then it was simple curious fascination. I never gave thought to ever having a WFO. I had no land base, my world was the sea, my boat and the places I sailed.

I posted several of the photos I took back then when I first joined Forno Bravo Forum. Here's a link to that posting:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...gton-3675.html

Bests,
                      Wiley

Comment

Wiley: I might have considered this had I not already ordered one before seeing this photo. I wasn't sure pine was a good idea which is why I asked about wood type. I know I want a wide board - at least 18" (my door is 19" wide) and I know that once I get bigger than a 1"x12" it gets costlier because it becomes a special order. So I just flat out broke down and ordered a peel.

Comment

Kim,

Have a look at Empire Bakery Equipment | Spiral Mixers, Deck & Rack Ovens, Cookie Depositors, Bakery Production Equipment, Bagel Machines and more!. They have very wide wooden peel blades that you can cut down on a bandsaw to the width you want. You can get them with handles of different lengths or simply make your own.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                          X