basic flatbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic flatbread

I have made pizzas four times in my wood fired oven and love it. I was going to try the basic flatbread recipe from the forno bravo site. My question is about the cooking part of it. It says cook for two minutes. I am assumming this is in a fully heated oven like I do for the pizza recipe?

Could I just make extra pizza dough with the caputo flour or should I follow this other recipe. I like the pizza recipe since I dont cook and it is in weights so I can follow it excactly.

Bascically what I am trying to do is come up with something I can throw in the oven at full temp or close to it pull out some bread fast to use for dipping into a cheese fondu?

Re: basic flatbread

Here's a recent thread on pita bread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...read-9321.html

No reason to dip into the Caputo for this. I use half whole-wheat and half AP flour and it works fine.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'll second dmun here, especially the comments on rolling the dough and brushing the hearth well. I made pitas the other day with good luck. I tried a recipe from Laurel's bread book which was all whole wheat. I autolysed for an hour and hand kneaded it well. They were rolled to about 1/4" thick. The pitas were good while fresh, but staled quickly over the week in a ziplock bag. I think I will use the 50 - 50 AP/whole wheat next time.

I also made a batch of naan from a thread recipe I found here CanuckJim's naan. These came out good too (also rolled these out), but I started skipping the part where you oil each side as they were sticking to the peel. It worked fine without that (well,they tasted fine, anyway).

Pdiff

Comment

Thanks guys I will try the pita bread sunday. I had glanced at this thread but was thinking pita was not what I wanted. Cant wait till I understand all the cooking parts of the oven.
        I was going to try the grilled eggplant reciepe as well and had to look up what a grill pan was so you know my skill level in cooking is nothing. I did sign up for a wood fired cooking class and am looking forward to it.

If I up your recipe would it look like this?

750 grams flour mix 50-50 bread / all purpose
        3 grams active dry yeast
        15 grams of salt
        465 grams water

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by lane View Post

If I up your recipe would it look like this?

750 grams flour mix 50-50 bread / all purpose
          3 grams active dry yeast
          15 grams of salt
          465 grams water

Thanks for the help
          which recipe are you talking about? Naan?

Comment

which recipe are you talking about? Naan?
            That's three times my basic pita dough formula linked in posting #2.

The good thing about flatbread is that it's really not fussy. The first rise is mostly for flavor and gluten development: you could even make them unleavened and the oven spring would make them puff up.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks dmun that is your reciepe. I am going to run to the store now to pick up the different flours and a rolling pin to try rolling a few out as well.
              I read another thread on making a copper pipe with hole in the end to blow off any ash you still have on the floor after sweeping since you and pdiff stated the pita tends to pick it up more than pizzas.

Thanks for the help on this, cant wait to fire up the oven for pitas and pizza.

Comment

Working...
              X