Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn on the cob

Hi all-

I've had great luck with roasting veges but have not tried corn in the husk. Has anyone done this? If so, what temp is your oven?

Cheers,

Ron

Re: Corn on the cob

I have never done this in a WFO but do it often on the gril so I would think that it should work out the same. Just peal the husk back, but do not remove. Then remove the silk. If you want to then rub with butter or seasoned butter. I do a chilli butter that has 1 stick butter, 2 chopped scallions, 1 clove garlic, 1.5 tbsp chilli powder, 1 tsp lime juice. Just grind up with a food processor and rub on to the corn. Fold the husk back up and tie closed with string, and soak in water for 10-15 min grill till husk is lightly charred. Peel and apply more of the chilli butter and eat.

Randy

Comment

I too, have never done this in a wfo. If you have young, what we call roasting ear corn, and especially sweet corn: try it without pealing back the shucks. On the grill it does not matter if the shucks are charred, the treat is inside. With young sweet corn and young roasting ears (also known as field corn) if the silk has not turned dark before picking, will almost cook away and if not, is edible too. We season after cooking. If you can peal the shuck back, season to taste without burning your hands and let them set for a minute or two back in the shuck, they will be great!.
      Heck, if you spread your coals out to the sides, you can even cook these in an open hearth fireplace. This is going to sound blasphemous, but they are even great cooked in the microwave this way about ten minutes on high turning about every 2 to 3 minutes. (based on six ears), your mileage may vary.
      If there is a worm in one of the ears it should be treated with the same respect as that which is afforded the one in the bottom of a bottle of tequila.
      Last edited by Gulf; 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I will have to try your method with not removing the silk once sweet corn is in season up here. That sounds like a lot less work.

Randy

Comment

Soak the corn in water for at least an hour if not more. Do not open corn at all. We lay the corn right on the brick. Keep turning the corn when the outside gets black. When it is all burnt then it will be done. The best i have eaten ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I had no idea it's possible to cook corn like this...Looks delicious! I love corn so much but it takes ages to make it nice and soft. I'll give this method a try this weekend. Thanks!
            Audio Editor Software

Comment

Originally posted by ricflo View Post
              Soak the corn in water for at least an hour if not more. Do not open corn at all. We lay the corn right on the brick. Keep turning the corn when the outside gets black. When it is all burnt then it will be done. The best i have eaten ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              what temp do you recommend, and about how long does it take?

Comment

Originally posted by CSpringsOven View Post
                what temp do you recommend, and about how long does it take?
                Depends on how long it takes to get black on the outside but I usualy am at pizza temps with live fire. Thinking about 5 - 7 minutes, but I have not timed them.
                Chip

Comment

I've tried corn in the oven. I cooked it in the husks after I soaked it. And found it to be a mess. I had that burnt husk flying all over the place inside the oven. I thought it was easier on the grill.

Comment

Weber used to make contraptions for holding veggies inside their grills,
                    you could use one of these or make something up using wire, pliers and a file

The best thing Weber make for veg is only for sale in South Africa, called a corn & tator ring which fits inside their kettle all the way round the edge and holds 16 Ears or Potatoes...

Corn and Tator Ring
                    -------------------------------------------
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

Working...
                    X