X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GianniFocaccia
    replied
    Re: Olives Home-made

Aha, Jay! You are in a decidedly bigger pickle now, what with a lovely wife who will joust you for 'THE OLIVE'... I say give it up gracefully, kneel down on the floor and beg, and just see what comes back for your gentlemanly gesture.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Dino!

I picked my one olive today!

The issue with one olive is that it is a LOT of work and time which is the same for one olive or a thousand and as cool as home made martini olive might be....geesh!

And besides my wife likes martinis too and there might be a squabble.

My area north of San Antonio is occasionally really dry and the soil very VERY rocky (most of the meadow above my house is exposed rock). My trees were two years old when planted and are now eight! In theory they should have produced two years ago but...the past two years have been exceptionally dry. This year is pretty wet and they are MUCH happier so I suspect I will have many martini olives next year!

And to John....Touche! You got me! )

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Ok, that's what I get for saying "any suggestions will be welcomed". Now I can't wait to get home and make a Hendricks Gin Martini and drink it in the pool , olives or not.

Jay, you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly the trees start fruiting. I'm sure you'll have a bumper crop soon. Keep an eye out for olives growing in parkways and parking lots. That's what I did .

Mike, I guess I'll have go back to the university parking lot and pick another batch for you.

Leave a comment:

• roobqn
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Jay,

I only put one olive in my martinis...

John
    What a great attitude!

When life gives you one olive . . . make a martini

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Jay,

I only put one olive in my martinis...

John

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

I look forward to hearing how it goes, Dino. I have three olive trees and this year I have my first (and I do mean first for I have ONLY ONE) olive and it is just about ready to pick. Next year all three trees should bear and I will FINALLY be able to make olives.

Alas, one olive is sort of unusable!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Sorry, no help here. Not a lot of Olives growing in Michigan! It looks and sounds great though. If you are in need of discriminating tasters, let me know Olives are one of my favorite foods!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    started a topic Olives Home-made

Olives Home-made

It's been at least 15 years since we made olives at home. I picked a large grocery bag full of green and just barely ripe olives to make a batch for this winter.

I had to look up on-line to remind myself how it's done without using lye.

I did put a slit ("clicked" them with a paring knife) as I dropped them in the water and separated the green from purples. I'll change the water daily for 2 weeks. Then, add a salt brine and change weekly for a month. See if they are then ready for vinegar, lemons, bay leaf and garlic cloves.

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

They're going to be great on pizza's!
    -Dino
Working...
X