Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paella - boiled rice.

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
    Rog, you're close enough to Spain that you should be able to find a pan....or have a friend bring one back....they are still cheap....my last ones were 7 euro's....may the Paella gods smile on you....
    Thanks for that !

I can probably get one here, haven't looked to be honest, but there's a place that probably sells them that I haven't been in for a while. I'll look in the next few weeks.

Have you or anyone else tried doing a paella-style dish in the WFO ? Wife did Chicken Basque in our electric oven on Saturday, which is really just a version of paella with chicken, olives, chorizo, peppers and oranges and it was super, would be fine in the forno...

Ciao Rog

Comment

Sure...keep it simple, it's still boiled rice. I've done it from scratch and used leftovers...both worked great!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f20/...bles-1459.html

J
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

A paella pan is currently heading my way ...

Comment

Sarah,

Maybe I should apologize in advance, but I won't. SJ, aka XJ, is an unduly modest paella master and should be outed as such. Here's a pic of his creation at the annual Bread Bash (actually it was pizza this spring) here at Mary G's Artisan Breads.

"Keep it simple," yeah, sure . It looks just as fabulous as it tasted.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Your timing in posting that pic is great since my paella pan just arrived today - I'm not sure my first paella adventure will be anywhere near as impressive as that though. Jim sure has set the bar high!

Comment

So Sarah, is that pan black now??

I've done a couple on the banks of Cumberland and Tennessee rivers now.

Good luck with it.
              Jim

Comment

Well, I have the pan now ... sadly though, it's still in it's original pristine condition. Once I finish some indoor renovations, close up at the lake and get a family wedding out of the way, you may see a paella post from me - hopefully a success report!
                I could use some advice though - should I cook it in the WFO (maybe hard to manage) or over an outdoor gas burner (maybe not a wide enough flame for an 18 inch pan)? It's my understanding that over an open fire is best but I can't do that in the city ...

Sarah

Comment

The gas burner is a common way to do it in Spain but they use a double ring burner (or larger depending on pan size). You want to see the entire pan bubbling.

You can try the wood fire in the city. It's not too big and it's a cooking fire which is often exempt from bonfire rules. I use about a 5 gallon bucket of finely split oak to do a paella....start the fire with a bunch of miscellaneous wood pieces.

btw...you should wash your pan in soap and water first to get off the protective layer and then oil it. I use some olive oil and a sheet of newspaper.

I've seen Paella's done on stove tops and in the oven. The WFO might work fine if the pan will fit in the door....you have the temps and could put it on the coals or hot hearth.....if it fit's, give it a try.

Good luck with it...keep trying if you have any problems....it can be a bit hectic the first few times but you'll get the hang of it and it's worth it!

XJ

Comment

Rustic Paella's....on the rocks in LBL...done with fresh fish too!

...just so you know I have not been slacking!

Comment

Working...
                    X