X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpringJim
    replied
    Re: Paella - boiled rice.

Rustic Paella's....on the rocks in LBL...done with fresh fish too!

...just so you know I have not been slacking!

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

The gas burner is a common way to do it in Spain but they use a double ring burner (or larger depending on pan size). You want to see the entire pan bubbling.

You can try the wood fire in the city. It's not too big and it's a cooking fire which is often exempt from bonfire rules. I use about a 5 gallon bucket of finely split oak to do a paella....start the fire with a bunch of miscellaneous wood pieces.

btw...you should wash your pan in soap and water first to get off the protective layer and then oil it. I use some olive oil and a sheet of newspaper.

I've seen Paella's done on stove tops and in the oven. The WFO might work fine if the pan will fit in the door....you have the temps and could put it on the coals or hot hearth.....if it fit's, give it a try.

Good luck with it...keep trying if you have any problems....it can be a bit hectic the first few times but you'll get the hang of it and it's worth it!

XJ

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Well, I have the pan now ... sadly though, it's still in it's original pristine condition. Once I finish some indoor renovations, close up at the lake and get a family wedding out of the way, you may see a paella post from me - hopefully a success report!
    I could use some advice though - should I cook it in the WFO (maybe hard to manage) or over an outdoor gas burner (maybe not a wide enough flame for an 18 inch pan)? It's my understanding that over an open fire is best but I can't do that in the city ...

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

So Sarah, is that pan black now??

I've done a couple on the banks of Cumberland and Tennessee rivers now.

Good luck with it.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Your timing in posting that pic is great since my paella pan just arrived today - I'm not sure my first paella adventure will be anywhere near as impressive as that though. Jim sure has set the bar high!

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Sarah,

Maybe I should apologize in advance, but I won't. SJ, aka XJ, is an unduly modest paella master and should be outed as such. Here's a pic of his creation at the annual Bread Bash (actually it was pizza this spring) here at Mary G's Artisan Breads.

"Keep it simple," yeah, sure . It looks just as fabulous as it tasted.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

A paella pan is currently heading my way ...

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

Sure...keep it simple, it's still boiled rice. I've done it from scratch and used leftovers...both worked great!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f20/...bles-1459.html

J

Leave a comment:

• BrritSki
    replied

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
    Rog, you're close enough to Spain that you should be able to find a pan....or have a friend bring one back....they are still cheap....my last ones were 7 euro's....may the Paella gods smile on you....
    Thanks for that !

I can probably get one here, haven't looked to be honest, but there's a place that probably sells them that I haven't been in for a while. I'll look in the next few weeks.

Have you or anyone else tried doing a paella-style dish in the WFO ? Wife did Chicken Basque in our electric oven on Saturday, which is really just a version of paella with chicken, olives, chorizo, peppers and oranges and it was super, would be fine in the forno...

Ciao Rog

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

Rog, you're close enough to Spain that you should be able to find a pan....or have a friend bring one back....they are still cheap....my last ones were 7 euro's....may the Paella gods smile on you....

Jim

Leave a comment:

• BrritSki
    replied

What a great thread !

I had cooked paellas a few times on a stove-top, but it always seemed like a lot of work, but after seeing a demo of how it's done in Spain on a wood fire earlier this year that is how I now do it and it's a real pleasure and is absolutely delicious.

I build the wood fire ahead of time so it burns down to coals. While this is happening I grill red-peppers until they're blackened, put them in a freezer bag for a few minutes to steam and then peel the skins off - this gives all the lovely smoky flavour with none of the chewy skin. I always use chicken thighs so I also brown these indoors and heat through to make sure they're cooked through (probably won't do this if/when I get a proper big flat paella pan).

Then like Jim I fry onions and garlic and chorizo in olive oil in an earthenware dish on the coals, throw in the rice and coat, then add stock and wine, chicken, peppers, saffron, paprika, herbs and other ingredients.

As we live a little way inland and no fresh fish locally I usually buy some frozen prawns and mixed fish to add, and needless to say being Italian they're excellent.

We always make our own stock too, whenever we have bones left over, but we usually boil it down a bit to concentrate it and take less room in our freezer.

Ciao Rog

Leave a comment:

• cplain
    replied

This maybe a stupid question...I've made risotto, never paella and have yet to cook in WFO. From this thread it appears you cook paella on top of some heat source...yet I see pictures of Paella in a WFO.

Do you cook it up then put in WFO to finish?

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

Just a quick update .... I'm always happy to revise a recipe when it makes sense....

..my Spanish friends recommended that the peppers be fried initially....so cut them in big pieces and fry them with the meat until roasted...then take them out and save them to put on the top later after the green beans go on.

did that last time and it worked well having the blackened peppers on the top!

...also another friend from Valencia puts his rice into the boiling liquid insted of frying it first like we do...tells you how flexible this dish can be!

Leave a comment:

• John Fahle
    replied

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    James, Jim, all,

I've also made stock from oxtail, veal shin, beef shin or ten pounds of butcher's marrow bones with lots of meat still on (friend of mine). . .

Jim
    I've never made stock out of a friend, but now that you mention it, it sounds delicious. Perhaps with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Seriously, though, I love the idea of a "starter" stock. I make fresh stocks all the time, but never thought to refresh them. I'm going to start doing that. THanks.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    More photos

Couple of shots... one after stock has gone in the rice, one of the finished product steaming just before coming off and "resting". These show my new/second generation wood burner being used for the first time in contrast to the gas ring typically used in Spain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X