paella rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paella rice

ok, this is also just a test post to check out the new forum (maybe i'll get first post!).

last night i made paella and used, for the first time, rice from valencia. what a difference. i still don't have the technique down but i'm getting real close and will post a recipe with some pictures in the near future. in the past my rice has been too wet and gummy. i think i'll have this problem beat the next time.

in summary, however, try this:

use a regular paella recipe for ingrediants, food prep etc. (i'll post mine soon). however, modify it as follows:

use real spanish rice.

2.1 to 1 ratio of liquid to rice.

after the step where you add the rice (usually to your fried onion and chorizo and olive oil) you stir the rice to coat it with the olive oil then add broth that you have already brought to a rolling boil.

stir once and then DO NOT THEREAFTER STIR THE RICE. i repeat. DO NOT STIR THE RICE. move the pan around on the burner to vary the flame location. if the pan is big enough, have it over two burners.

cook the rice uncovered on the cooktop in the widest possible pan until the rice absorbs ALL the liquid. you want a thin layer of rice.

then press the fish and whatever into the top (but not all the way in) and 10 minutes in the oven uncovered to fry the rice in the olive oil (which your recipe will have undoubtedly have had you enter when you were frying onions and chorizo).

my paella from last night was almost perfect but i put it in the oven a little before all the liquid had been absorbed by the rice on the cooktop. next time, ALL the liquid ...
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com
Working...
X