Baked Rice with Vegetables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Rice with Vegetables

Well, I didn't know what to call it! It was my first rice experiment in the wood fired oven....and I was surprised how well the rice it turned out....I've always said Paella/Boiled Rice was a forgiving dish and maybe this proves it.

I started with a chicken stock and used brown (Integral) rice. Use three times the liquid volume to the rice...remember, it's boiled without a lid.

I heated a small terra cotta dish in the wood fired oven and put some olive oil in it. This was done after baking for a party so it was a slow oven, with a few coals still in the fire pile.

Next, after hot, I put in the brown rice and some spice (paprika and fresh herbs) and stirred the mixture, then let it toast for a few minutes. On the stove I'd already sauteed a few vegetables, garlic/onion/red pepper, and then tossed in a diced tomato after it was done sauteeing. I put a diced zucchini on top of this mixture, not cooked. This vegetable mixture was then stirred into the warm rice dish.

After stirring with the oily rice, I added the warm caldo (soup stock) I pre-heated this on the stove, hot but never boiling!

After an unknown measure of red wine, I checked the rice and was surprised to find it done. I rotated the dish and let it go another few minutes. Even though we were stuffed, we still tried the rice dish! Interesting desert!

This now gives me the confidence to try an official oven Paella!

Again, a very easy and forgiving dish when your oven is cooling down after baking.

Salut!
    Last edited by Xabia Jim; 01-26-2007, 02:26 AM.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Baked Rice with Vegetables

Just went through sll your recent postst. Thanks for posting the recipes, you are becoming our resident-web cook.

Where do you find the time!!! Maybe when we move to daylight savings time I will be able to do more with oven than just on weekend.

Comment

I second that, thanks for all the recipes. I cannot wait until the snow melts around here (Denver) so I can get back out to my oven.

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Epilogue

Took the rice dish, added the leftover bits from yesterday's roast (Chicken, peppers, eggplant, onions, garlic and shrimp) Made a pseudo paella! Heated it up slowly until steamed....nice WFO leftovers!

I'm ready to experiment with a WFO Paella now!

Comment

hi,
          wonderful recipe indeed mouthwatering.
          Hope some more recipe from your end thank you.

Comment

The wood fired oven gets fired up again next week!!!

Looking forward it!

XJ

Comment

Working...
            X