Porridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porridge

I usually soak my oats overnight for the morning porridge - was just doing so and found myself wondering: if I put them in the oven - I am post weekend pizza / post bread baking / post roast for tonight's dinner - about 200 now... Will I wake up to ready made porridge or a just a really hard to clean pan... Experiences with this anyone?

Re: Porridge

You would be amazed at the variety of things that can be transformed into Charcoal!

Comment

Well... I went ahead and put a cup or so of toasted steal cut oats and quinoae (etc.) in a pot with LOTS of water. Around 10:00PM I placed it in the (roughtly) 200 degree oven (was a little cooler I think), set on an upsidedown cookie sheet to help prevent burning. I put the door in place, and went to bed. Around 8:00AM I got up and pulled out a steaming pot of... nope, not charcol this time... amazingly creamy porridge! No burning or sticking or anything. This is something I'll do again anytime the oven is around 200 degrees at bed time...

(Side note: I've found soaking / fermenting oats in water overnight - maybe even adding a little whey, ie: from the yoghert, if I've got some - make the oats easier to digest. Slow baking them overnight did not allow for this fermentation process to occur as it was too hot for frementation - so despite being increadibly creamy and yummy, they were missing the benifits of fermentation. Next time I'll soak / ferment the oats the night / day before, and then slow bake them in the oven.)

Comment

Originally posted by DBinnema View Post
        Well... I went ahead and put a cup or so of toasted steal cut oats and quinoae (etc.) in a pot with LOTS of water. Around 10:00PM I placed it in the (roughtly) 200 degree oven (was a little cooler I think), set on an upsidedown cookie sheet to help prevent burning. I put the door in place, and went to bed. Around 8:00AM I got up and pulled out a steaming pot of... nope, not charcol this time... amazingly creamy porridge! No burning or sticking or anything. This is something I'll do again anytime the oven is around 200 degrees at bed time...

(Side note: I've found soaking / fermenting oats in water overnight - maybe even adding a little whey, ie: from the yoghert, if I've got some - make the oats easier to digest. Slow baking them overnight did not allow for this fermentation process to occur as it was too hot for frementation - so despite being increadibly creamy and yummy, they were missing the benifits of fermentation. Next time I'll soak / ferment the oats the night / day before, and then slow bake them in the oven.)
        The saving grace was the amount of water, so instead of soaking you slow cooked your porridge. You can do that with the temp in the low 100s.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          You would be amazed at the variety of things that can be transformed into Charcoal!
          Ha Ha, we have all done that my best effort was lamb shanks ... The bones were the softest part

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
            Ha Ha, we have all done that my best effort was lamb shanks ... The bones were the softest part
            I let my neighbor use my oven last month and the next morning there were 3 perfect looking baked sweet potatoes, but instead they were charcoal and you could peel the perfect looking skin back to reveal the charcoal center. A true offering to the oven gods.

Comment

Working...
            X