Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you Stir-Fry

Is it possible to stir-fry on a WFO?

I would love to make some fried rice for family and friends.

Anyone got any ideas or reccomendations?

Re: Can you Stir-Fry

The key to a proper stir fry is very high heat in the wok - which is why it's so difficult to replicate restaurant results at home. I have difficulty seeing this work in a WFO, but perhaps someone has actual experience.
    Un amico degli amici.

Comment

I have seen a long handled wok somewhere on the web...not sure where it was though...
      Have to think about it!
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Home Kitchen Oven Cooking Tools, Pizza Screens, Brush, Wok, Tongs

there ya go...
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

I'm trying to envision getting a wok into my oven's opening and still be able to stir in it without burning my arms on the arches... not working.

The heat would be fine, just not the logistics, I think.
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Ithink the answers to your two questions are:

1. No, it is not practical and probably wouldn't work if you tried.
            2. Get the hottest portable burner you can find and use the wok in a more conventional manner... or try to get by with an electric wok (arrghhh, I can't believe I actually said that.)

Comment

I actually think it is meant for more of a saute' than a stir fry...you would be able to toss it like one can in a skillet but certainly not stir...not safely anyway...I agree with brian...get a good wok and a smokin' burner and go to town...there is still room in the world for gas cookers...have to think of how to make a wood wok burner next to the open grill next to the wfo....
              Best
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I was thinking about this recently because my wife picked-up a heavy cast iron implement shaped like a wok. I think it would work if this heavy cast iron "wok" was heated in the oven, then removed and all the cooking done outside the oven. I think it would have sufficient heat mass to finish a dish. I'll give it a try and let you know.

On the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense to fire-up the WFO hot enough just to heat a wok. A thinner steel wok on the range would be faster and cheaper. I can envision serving-up a side of fried rice from the WFO during a WFO cook-out though...

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X