Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasta machine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gdest
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    A good pasta machine that I used for years, until I got the roller set that attaches to the kitchen aid, is one call Pasta Queen.
    Don't forget that what ever one you purchase, you DO NOT clean them after using with soap and water, just a brush.

    Leave a comment:


  • heliman
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Hi Brett,

    That looks like a really great machine. I'll definitely be looking for something along those lines, but may have to spend around the $250 - $300 mark.

    Leave a comment:


  • gvzepp
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Hiya Rossco,

    This is the make my wife brought me and I can vouch for the quality of the build, it also has the option to buy and add an electric motor to this model (not that I have bothered) anyway some further food for thought..

    Regards Brett..

    Leave a comment:


  • heliman
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Been looking at more pasta machines and they all seem to come out of the same factory. Overall quality is poor. Have decided that I will hold off buying untill I've done some more research.
    Last edited by heliman; 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pdiff
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Originally posted by gdest View Post
    Pdiff

    Come on down I will even pick you up at the airport! However you must be ready to work on the pizza oven. Going to start the brick work this weekend!

    Yes the color does fade a bit but not to bad. I haven't used beet or carrot, I have thought by adding some food coloring to the spinach and tomato paste would help reinforce the colors, but I never tried it.
    Need to finish mine first. Been too busy using it to git 'er done

    I've wondered about using a bit of salt in the dough. I know it is used as a color fastener in some cloth dying. Good excuse for an experiment! :-)

    Leave a comment:


  • gdest
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Pdiff

    Come on down I will even pick you up at the airport! However you must be ready to work on the pizza oven. Going to start the brick work this weekend!

    Yes the color does fade a bit but not to bad. I haven't used beet or carrot, I have thought by adding some food coloring to the spinach and tomato paste would help reinforce the colors, but I never tried it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pdiff
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Originally posted by gdest View Post
    Pdiff,
    Dinner this weekend come on down!

    I know its early for this suggestion, but what I have done at times for Christmas dinner was to make green and red pasta. You add cooked and well drained spinach to the flour and tomato paste to the other batch. Makes an intresting presentation at the dinner table.
    Be careful. Might take you up on that. We're supposed to get snow today!!!

    Do you have trouble with color fade when cooking tinted pasta. Mine always tends to bleach out. Spinach isn't too bad, but carrot and beet have trouble. I need to try the tomato.

    Leave a comment:


  • gdest
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Pdiff,
    Dinner this weekend come on down!

    I know its early for this suggestion, but what I have done at times for Christmas dinner was to make green and red pasta. You add cooked and well drained spinach to the flour and tomato paste to the other batch. Makes an intresting presentation at the dinner table.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pdiff
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    gdest, I would agree completely. Use what ever it takes to get that fresh pasta :-) On my end, it s a pain to get out the machine, attach it the best I can, crank out the pasta, detach and clean the machine and then cut the pasta ( I still hand cut, even with the machine). Hand rolling, for me, is the more convenient method (as is hand mixing), but I doubt the taste or texture are any different. And I do enjoy the challenge of developing a skill.

    But if you invite me to dinner for machine rolled pasta, don't worry, I'll be waiting, fork in hand :-)

    Leave a comment:


  • gdest
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    As you all know, there is nothing like the taste of homemade pasta. However, one of the reasons most people rely on store bought is convienence. As I mentioned before and on some other threads, using the roller on either the electric or hand crank enables one to easily decided to make their own pasta easier. Rolling out pasta with a pin may change the texture a bit but I don't see where it would improve the taste.
    In addition, clean up would be much easier unless you have someone is so greatful to you for efforts volunteers, I would encourage you to go with the electric.
    By the way I still think that cutting the pasta by hand is the way to go and forget about using the machine cutters.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pdiff
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Originally posted by heliman View Post

    Your holiday sounds great - how long will you be in Italy? Going anywhere else along the way?

    Italy is the only destination. We have three weeks to explore. Right now we are planning on mainly North Italy after a couple of days in Rome. Plans are for Pisa, Cinque Terre, Sienna, and ...., well, still planning that. Any suggestions would be welcome. We leave eventually from Milan, barring Volcanos, Strikes, or other unforseen bumps :-)

    Pdiff

    Leave a comment:


  • heliman
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Originally posted by gvzepp View Post
    Hi Rossco,

    Went through the same dilemma a few years back... with a couple of cheap pasta machines that kept breaking after a short period of use, then my wife got tired of me moaning that I'd broken another one.
    So she brought me a very nice Italian pasta machine for about $100 Aussie and you could see the quality straight away. I could send you some details..model, pictures ect... if you like, though its a hand crank machine which personally I dont have an issue with, you seem to learn to master dough ,sheets, dusting and cranking all at once after a short while.

    As a side note I seem to remember a couple of guys in this forum saying that they had made a bit, to fit into their cordless battery drills to crank their pasta machines ... as they say necessity is the mother of invention

    Regards Brett..
    Hi Brett - thanks for the info...

    Funny I was chatting to the wife in the car this morning saying maybe I should just buy a $20 machine .. and she said "NO, forget it, buy once properly". I think she's right!! Your experience supports this thinking too... so looks like I will need to go shopping for a quality machine. If you have details of the one you got, that would be great.
    Last edited by heliman; 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • heliman
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Originally posted by Pdiff View Post
    Enjoy Italy!! I will be that way in July. Nothing but food, wine, and observing on my agenda :-)

    Yes, the academic process sounds similar. It looks like you are through the hurdles and have a great way to forget about it for a while.

    Pdiff
    Thanks for that - quite looking forward to it now that all the academic hoo haa is out of the way. I will try to post any interesting info during the travels to this forum.

    Your holiday sounds great - how long will you be in Italy? Going anywhere else along the way?

    Leave a comment:


  • gvzepp
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Hi Rossco,

    Went through the same dilemma a few years back... with a couple of cheap pasta machines that kept breaking after a short period of use, then my wife got tired of me moaning that I'd broken another one.
    So she brought me a very nice Italian pasta machine for about $100 Aussie and you could see the quality straight away. I could send you some details..model, pictures ect... if you like, though its a hand crank machine which personally I dont have an issue with, you seem to learn to master dough ,sheets, dusting and cranking all at once after a short while.

    As a side note I seem to remember a couple of guys in this forum saying that they had made a bit, to fit into their cordless battery drills to crank their pasta machines ... as they say necessity is the mother of invention

    Regards Brett..

    Leave a comment:


  • Pdiff
    replied
    Re: Pasta machine

    Enjoy Italy!! I will be that way in July. Nothing but food, wine, and observing on my agenda :-)

    Yes, the academic process sounds similar. It looks like you are through the hurdles and have a great way to forget about it for a while.

    Pdiff

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X