Dry Pasta with Tomato Paste or Spinach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Pasta with Tomato Paste or Spinach

When I make dry pasta...my recipe is 250 gm all Purpose and 250 gm semolina with 200 gm water, the pasta comes out fine and it dries perfectly. My question is:

I would like to make colored pasta. Green and Red. If I use tomato paste or spinach in the pasta will the pasta mold with age?

Re: Dry Pasta with Tomato Paste or Spinach

I dont know if it will or not,, My answer is, when my mom makes extra pasta she freezes it, Im sure you could freeze the extra

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
      I dont know if it will or not,, My answer is, when my mom makes extra pasta she freezes it, Im sure you could freeze the extra

Cheers
      Mark
      Thanks Mark, I don't want to put it in the freezer. That's why I make the dried pasta without eggs so I don't have to worry about storing it. I want to keep it indefinitely without it going bad.

Pizza Man

Comment

Since you are adding food products to your dried pasta it will go bad without proper storage. Why not add food coloring? Then you would not have to worring about storage.

Comment

I seriously doubt that you would have spoilage problems with dried pastas. The two things that could cause problems would be water and fats/oil. Since you are drying, water should not be an issue. I think the natural colorants most people would use, e.g. beets, spinach, etc, would be pretty low in the oil/fat dept too, but I've never tried tomato. Still, I've never had or heard of dried pasta "going bad", even with egg. Sunlight, however, will affect it by bleaching out the colors, so keep it dry and in the dark.
          Last edited by Pdiff; 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X