Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Roasted Goat - Has anyone done this in a WFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Roasted Goat - Has anyone done this in a WFO?

I'm helping a friend who also has a WFO, roast a goat for an upcoming family wedding. We are debating whether to roast it whole or in quarters (any ideas here?) Also any information about roasting methods, seasonings/marinades, roasting temps and the desired internal temp. of the meat would be most welcome.

Re: Wood Roasted Goat - Has anyone done this in a WFO?

I don't think anyone has mentioned cooking a goat, but on other whole beasts, the consensus seems to be 'low and slow'. Cooking the roast in an oven after the fire has been removed and the temperature is declining.
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Here's an update on the goat: Low and slow was definitely the way to go. We cut the goat into quarters and marinated it overnight in olive oil, fresh rosemary, garlic cloves, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. The next day we removed the goat from the marinade (reserving it), salted the quarters and seared them in hot oil. After searing we added a couple of quarts of low sodium chicken broth and the reserved marinade and roasted it in a low oven for about 4 hours until very tender. We pulled the meat and poured the defatted braising liquid over. Everyone at the wedding loved it even though most guests, myself included , had never tasted goat before. (I thought it tasted like a combination of lamb and pork - milder than lamb, but a little stronger tasting than pork.)

Comment

Oh man, my stomach is growling....we are doing a pig roast this weekend, but not in the oven, in a Caja China...
        La Caja China Box - Superb Pig Roasting BBQ Grills and Smokers
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Sounds like a good approach! Well done!
          Jay

Comment

Working...
          X